No announcement yet.

Videos tearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry but I don't understand what uvd and MC are.

What projects are you talking about ?

I don't think a P4 3.2 will quite do 1080 h264 (with a 2.1 GHz AMD I can only get 1/2 framerate on broadcast HD) it should be fine for 720.
    My CPU played 1080p fine when I had my nVIDIA card...

Thanks
    Last edited by Guilo; 07 August 2008, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guilo View Post
      I'm sorry but I don't understand what uvd and MC are.

What projects are you talking about ?

My CPU played 1080p fine when I had my nVIDIA card...

Thanks
      UVD is the unified video decoder that is built in to recent radeon cards. It can releive the CPU of alot of work -

MC is motion compensation - a part of decoding mpeg video.

Fair enough if you could play 1080p, though 1080p may not be a good way to describe how much work your processor needs to do. It depends on the bitrate of the video as well.

Comment

Thanks for your explanations.

The only 1080p movie I ever played was Big Buck Bunny and it was running fast when played with xv but quite slowly with gl

Comment

Solution, at last

Hi all !

I just wanted to tell that I had found a solution while reading mplayer doc :

(no)force−pbo

Always uses PBOs to transfer textures even if this involves an extra copy. Currently this gives a little extra speed with NVidia drivers and a lot more speed with ATI drivers. May need −noslices and the ati−hack suboption to work correctly.
          so :

mplayer -vo gl:force-pbo
          works great : no tearing and fast decoding.

Hope it can help

Comment

Originally posted by Guilo View Post
            Hi all !

mplayer -vo gl:force-pbo

works great : no tearing and fast decoding.
            Hope it can help
            Cool glad you found a solution.

I tried it and using a recent mplayer couldn't get it to take the command without doing -

mplayer -vo gl:ati-hack,force_pbo

Unfortunately it still didn't stop ffmpeg h264 + -vo gl* eating pointless amounts of CPU in vo for me.

Comment

I still have no video tearing, with -vo gl
              but the 1080p videos are too slow, even on a quadcore q9300

that's really unacceptable to need to go on windows to watch videos
              Last edited by mirak63; 18 August 2008, 01:43 PM.

Comment

this is still not fixed apparently

and I get a screen corruption when going in windowed mode in opengl video output
                Last edited by mirak63; 21 August 2008, 05:04 AM.

Comment

legume
                  Try -vf scale option. It won't scale anything and should not convert color space either... Virtually it does nothing but CPU usage is much lower sometimes. Have no idea why.

Comment

Originally posted by vitalyb View Post
                    legume
                    Try -vf scale option. It won't scale anything and should not convert color space either... Virtually it does nothing but CPU usage is much lower sometimes. Have no idea why.
                    Thanks - I tried and it did fix usage for a small youtube mp4, but it doesn't change things for some bbc quicktime/264 demos I tried.

I know these particular demos were OK with gl on an older mplayer + old fglrx on my old card (X1600). I wonder which one of the three regressed.

Comment

legume
                      Setting large cache for Matroska definitely helps, not sure about mp4/qt, though. Try -cache 8192

Comment

Working...
                      X