790GX Vs new 790FX "hawkfish" MB's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by acreda View Post
    This may explain it, there is a set of benchmarks from the guys at Tech Report http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/15256 stating that the South bridge is runing in IDE and therefore the SB750 is not doing NCQ which would indicate the poor performance for writing speeds (burst speeds are fine) I understand that this ACHI problem existed in the SB600, why has it been carried over if its true?!?!?

ACHI mode does not really work with the SB600 (some BIOS on certain boards even remove the option). According to that review, the new SB still has issues with AHCI, so I think that's why they did not use it. AMD hyped this SB750 so much that I'm rather disappointed; the "extra overclocking" seems more like a gimmick as well.
    Last edited by Melcar; 09 August 2008, 10:07 PM.

Comment

AMD hyped this SB750 so much that I'm rather disappointed;
      Just curious, where are you finding all this hype ? I hadn't even seen the SB750 mentioned in the press other than as a companion to the 790GX.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Just curious, where are you finding all this hype ? I hadn't even seen the SB750 mentioned in the press other than as a companion to the 790GX.
        Maybe it was just the particular circles I frequent that were guilty of this over hyping.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
          Maybe it was just the particular circles I frequent that were guilty of this over hyping.
          Well we will have to wait for the Linux benchmarks from Phoronix, Generally i find their results accurate, i hope it's going to be tested against the N 750 chipset and the old 708G with the old south bridge. do you think anyone will advise when article will be out, i assue there will be one? if it is reasonably close then i will want to stay with AMD for the Crossfire and ACC. after all if something is taking a while to copy over I'll just go a get myself a drink!

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            How about these:

We've got the low down on exactly what AMD's new "performance-leading" integrated graphics northbridge offers, in addition to its latest southbridge which is apparently primed for some super-overclocking. Has the AMD platform finally come good again?

The new ACC features included in the BIOS and the South Bridge can fix Phenom's speed problems

Plus hundreds of others, people expected alot from this chipset. Of course the hyped OC'ing capability of the chipset is pretty much a useless feature in linux as there is no overdrive utility for linux (such utilities are badly absent in linux).

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              How about these:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543_15434~127446,00.html

HardwareZone is the leading online technology portal in Asia Pacific gives you latest tech Updates, technology news, products & gadgets reviews and more.

We've got the low down on exactly what AMD's new "performance-leading" integrated graphics northbridge offers, in addition to its latest southbridge which is apparently primed for some super-overclocking. Has the AMD platform finally come good again?

The new ACC features included in the BIOS and the South Bridge can fix Phenom's speed problems

Plus hundreds of others, people expected alot from this chipset. Of course the hyped OC'ing capability of the chipset is pretty much a useless feature in linux as there is no overdrive utility for linux (such utilities are badly absent in linux).
              They're hardly useful, except for GPU based overclocking, so I for one don't miss them. Software based overclocking for the CPU/chipset always ends up with stability problems. GPU overclocking with Overdrive is not that great either (very small margins for frequency adjustment and the stress tool could be better), but for now it should suffice. Still, if you're going for the pure principle of the thing, Overdrive should be fully supported in Linux as well (even if it does not end up being too useful). As for the SB750 itself, given that disk and USB controller performance is the biggest reason to choose one SB over another, I say that it is a big letdown.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                They're hardly useful, except for GPU based overclocking, so I for one don't miss them. Software based overclocking for the CPU/chipset always ends up with stability problems. GPU overclocking with Overdrive is not that great either (very small margins for frequency adjustment and the stress tool could be better), but for now it should suffice. Still, if you're going for the pure principle of the thing, Overdrive should be fully supported in Linux as well (even if it does not end up being too useful). As for the SB750 itself, given that disk and USB controller performance is the biggest reason to choose one SB over another, I say that it is a big letdown.
                Granted software OC'ing is the bastard child of overclocker enthusiasts, but is improving with each generation. Where it is nice is that gives usually a good starting base with it's results so that other methods can be applied such as the soon-to-be-dead bios methods. With systems gradually making the transition to software based alteratives (EFI for example) it is the future of OC'ing. It would be in the best interest of all parties to start refining the technology and spreading it across all platforms so when it does become the defacto standard we are not starting from scratch in linux and other OS's.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Of course the hyped OC'ing capability of the chipset is pretty much a useless feature in linux as there is no overdrive utility for linux (such utilities are badly absent in linux).
                  I totaly disagree. You do not have to use AMD overdrive utility to oc you cpu/memory/gpu! It's possible with bios tweaking - as always. 790GX is about ACC (advanced clock calibration).

Comment

Originally posted by Kacper86 View Post
                    I totaly disagree. You do not have to use AMD overdrive utility to oc you cpu/memory/gpu! It's possible with bios tweaking - as always. 790GX is about ACC (advanced clock calibration).
                    I did not say you cannot OC with the BIOS. ACC is all about overclocking, that's it's sole purpose. It has also been proven time and time again that with ACC people are getting substantially higher OC's with it. What a utility allows via software is the ability to OC when needed and cut back when it's not without having to jump into the bios everytime to revert settings when OCing is or not needed. Nothing like roasting up a system websurfing and then having to reboot and the OC back up when you want to do something like video encoding, rendering or something else that can benifit from the extra boost in speed. One of the key features of linux is the ability to go eons without rebooting. A software app allows the dynamic clocking based on the current need without having to reboot.

Comment

well, there is one thing - all the tests are windows test. So they aren't very useful. I am at the moment looking for a new board. And I found that Vista SP1 greatly reduces the usb performance of amd southbridges. So.. if the tests were done with Vista SP1 you can ignore them.

Comment

Working...
                      X