790GX Vs new 790FX "hawkfish" MB's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 790GX Vs new 790FX "hawkfish" MB's

Hi Everyone, as a long suffering AMD fan i have been waiting for a decent AM2+ Motherboard with the SB750 and have been putting off my upgrade until they appear

I have now had my interest peaked by the new 790GX chipset. to me the are identical feature wise with the 790FX except from the Dual 8x pci-e slots (which is a mute point as Crossfire maybe coming but not here yet)

so considering that most MB with the 790GX set may sell cheaper than the new hawkfish board because of IGP that is still yet to see the light of day, and also that the only games I regularly play are UT2004, their mods and ut3 (fingers crossed) am i better just getting a 790GX board + 4850 card and saving some money with a cheaper board? will the restricted lanes ever hinder the performance if we are ever able to go crossfire?

Originally posted by acreda View Post
    to me the are identical feature wise with the 790FX except from the Dual 8x pci-e slots (which is a mute point as Crossfire maybe coming but not here yet)
    I think it was already pointed out elsewhere: the 790GX supports PCIe 2.0, a PCIe 2.0 x8 slot has the same bandwidth as a PCIe 1.0 x16 which is already plenty.

Comment

you should think twice about SB750.. apparently the sata and usb performance is not very good..

Comment

Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
        you should think twice about SB750.. apparently the sata and usb performance is not very good..
        I thought it was "improved" over the SB600. SATA and USB performance isn't *that* bad with SB600; it could be better, but it's nothing that will make you cut yourself. If overall performance is better than with SB600 that would be a plus.

Comment

deanjo says write performance on sata is 45% that of competing chipsets....

as for usb, he also says its alot worse than other chipsets...

Comment

I can't get the bonnie++ tets to run properly, so here is a run with iozone. SB600 with a single SATAII HDD:

Someone has a competing Intel/nvidia solution to compare to?

Comment

Nforce 780a on a old Maxtor 6B250S0 drive.
              Last edited by deanjo; 07 August 2008, 10:19 PM.

Comment

When I had a couple of Maxtor 6B250S0's running dmraid in raid 0

Comment

Is there a way to test USB performance?

Comment

This may explain it, there is a set of benchmarks from the guys at Tech Report http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/15256 stating that the South bridge is runing in IDE and therefore the SB750 is not doing NCQ which would indicate the poor performance for writing speeds (burst speeds are fine) I understand that this ACHI problem existed in the SB600, why has it been carried over if its true?!?!?

Comment

Working...
                    X