Will Phoronix review the GTX 260/280?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Phoronix review the GTX 260/280?

I've been hoping for a review of the GTX 260/280 under Linux for some time now. User feedback from the web has been scarce as hen's teeth.

I know there's a lot of buzz surrounding ATI right now (bluntly: it's a great big love-in!) but I'm also genuinely interested in the NVIDIA cards. Especially the 2D performance of course.

Surely NVIDIA didn't stick two fingers up at the Linux community by refusing Michael some samples?

Originally posted by Spanner View Post
    Surely NVIDIA didn't stick two fingers up at the Linux community by refusing Michael some samples?
    Yes, NVIDIA sure did... Though some AIB partners have promised some, but I have yet to see them arrive. Hopefully they'll be here soon!
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Yes, NVIDIA sure did... Though some AIB partners have promised some, but I have yet to see them arrive. Hopefully they'll be here soon!

Why would they do such a thing? Maybe they're afraid .

Comment

i doubt they are afraid, they dont give a damn enough to actually be afraid

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
          Why would they do such a thing? Maybe they're afraid .
          Afraid of what?

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            Afraid of what?
            that people might learn the unfortunate truth that the current state of 8xxx+ 2d with nvidias driver is slower than software 2d inside kvm using vesa driver on both host/guest ?

allthough they sure arent afraid, they dont give a rats ass..

Comment

Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
              that people might learn the unfortunate truth that the current state of 8xxx+ 2d with nvidias driver is slower than software 2d inside kvm using vesa driver on both host/guest ?

allthough they sure arent afraid, they dont give a rats ass..
              YMMV, as been said in many a thread, what may be an issue for one is not for another. I can honestly say that I've received quicker turn around time from the nvidia crew on issues then any xorg/ati/intel bug report. Submitted a bug report on the blobs yesterday for example and the reply was:

Thanks Dean,

I'm going to work on trying to reproduce this later on today.

Roland

Comment

I have an 8800GT currently on a 64bit gentoo box and don't see any problem with 2d performance. 1080p x264 movies are perfect, windows move as fast as I can move them and stop as soon as I let go (1920x1200 on 24" monitor.)
                Can someone tell me how to see if I'm actually affected by the poor 2d performance issue or not ?
                I'm in the market for either the 4870x2 or gtx 280 (waiting on 4870x2 review from here), so if the NVidia driver is hurting me on my desktop compared with what I would get out of an ATI card, I'd like to know

Comment

Working...
                X