Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's Larrabee GPU Will Support Linux

Phoronix: Intel's Larrabee GPU Will Support Linux

Intel's Larrabee will not launch for another year or two, but additional details were shared this week on this project that will launch Intel into the discrete graphics arena. We've known this already, but Larrabee will be a many-core graphics processor with an x86 instruction set designed to compete with the graphics cards from both ATI/AMD and NVIDIA. Larrabee will be scalable to TeraFLOPS, feature a new cache architecture and vector instruction set, and a new vector processing unit / wide SIMD, according to slides provided by Intel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

what a senseless post. the ATI Radeon X8490 will support Linux too once it arrives in 1-3 Years. Do I qualify with these amazing fortune telling skills as a news writer?

Comment

The big question is: will the micro-OS (ie. fancy, upgradeable firmware that is loaded from the hard drive) be open source?

Comment

Originally posted by madman2k View Post
        what a senseless post. the ATI Radeon X8490 will support Linux too once it arrives in 1-3 Years. Do I qualify with these amazing fortune telling skills as a news writer?
        No, but you qualify as something else (I won't say what).

Intel trying to compete with NVidia/ATI is big news. VERY big news.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          No, but you qualify as something else (I won't say what).

Intel trying to compete with NVidia/ATI is big news. VERY big news.

Not really, they have tried this game before *cough* i740 *cough*. Larabee is still 12 - 18 months away. By that time AMD/Nvidia will have made huge performance gains as they seem to do every 6 months. And don't forget their engineers for larrabee are mostly old 3DLabs staff which in pretty much attempt to come back has failed miserably in the past decade.
          Last edited by deanjo; 05 August 2008, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            Not really, they have tried this game before *cough* i740 *cough*. ...
            True, we often see history repeats itself. However, it does not mean it will always repeat.

Comment

Who provides the best drivers for Linux right now? Intel (OK, and Matrox but that doesn't count today).

Who will benefit most when Intel enters the high-performance 3D market? Linux users.

It is big news for Linux folks.

Comment

Another great part about it is that it will put additional pressure on NVIDIA to eventually open up their drivers.

Interesting times

Comment

Originally posted by f33l View Post
                  Another great part about it is that it will put additional pressure on NVIDIA to eventually open up their drivers.

Interesting times
                  I don't see why Larabee would pressure NVIDIA open their graphics drivers. That's not going to do to much for market demand. Linux still lives (primarily) in the server market.

Comment

Working...
                  X