Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 10 Alpha Preview

Phoronix: Fedora 10 Alpha Preview

Fedora 9 had shipped earlier this year with kernel-based mode-setting support, an early release of NetworkManager 0.7, PackageKit integration, install-time encryption support, initial EXT4 support, the Upstart daemon, and many other improvements. Now, however, it's time start getting excited over Fedora 10. The first Alpha release of Fedora 10 (codenamed Cambridge) was released this morning. In this article we have screenshots of Fedora 10 along with some of the features you can expect when this Linux operating system ships in October.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

this looks great.
    however, since I have an Nvidia card (using the blob!) i'll likely never get to use it.
    i also use Arch Linux, which may not adopt this for a while.
    i'll have to make sure my next laptop uses an intel onboard, and try this out!

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
      this looks great.
      however, since I have an Nvidia card (using the blob!) i'll likely never get to use it.
      i also use Arch Linux, which may not adopt this for a while.
      i'll have to make sure my next laptop uses an intel onboard, and try this out!
      What's wrong with nvidia cards? I mean, why would it stop you from using Fedora?

Comment

Originally posted by fackamato View Post
        What's wrong with nvidia cards? I mean, why would it stop you from using Fedora?
        As someone with an affected Nvidia card (I tried all the tricks and run the beta driver), I can say that it is a horrible experience. There are frequent 1-2 second pauses where all the graphics freeze except the mouse cursor. Animations and movies that my older card could handle fine bring this newer card to a crawl. Be warned.

The nv driver isn't as bad as the blob, but still leaves a lot to be desired.

The problem is largely distro-neutral, although Windows is not affected.

Comment

Originally posted by mmmbop View Post
          As someone with an affected Nvidia card (I tried all the tricks and run the beta driver), I can say that it is a horrible experience. There are frequent 1-2 second pauses where all the graphics freeze except the mouse cursor. Animations and movies that my older card could handle fine bring this newer card to a crawl. Be warned.

The nv driver isn't as bad as the blob, but still leaves a lot to be desired.

The problem is largely distro-neutral, although Windows is not affected.
          I've got a mobile 8-series card aswell (8600M GT to be precise), and I have similar problems, although not as severe, so I know what you're talking about. But it's at least usable for me, in gnome.

Comment

i was talking about the reason why nvidia cards (running blob) can't use plymouth, cause the driver needs kernel-based mode-setting support.
            so far that's only intel, with ati to follow soon

Comment

nouveau is making progress though.

Comment

progress?
                i'm not spending $300 on a card, for 2D graphics!

Comment

You've got to realize that the binary blob is going nowhere really fast though. As for throwing this sort of money in a NV card, I think the 9600 GT or 9800 GT are very fast (not as good a deal as a HD 4850, but quite decent).

Comment

i have an 8800GTS G92 from 8 last year.
                    was the best bet then.
                    i wanna buy a 4870, but i'm just not sure ATI drivers are ready yet.
                    phoronix should really run a high end comparison
                    a 9800 vs 4870
                    i don't care so much about benchmarks, as i game in windows
                    but i want to know all compatibility stuff
                    movie playback, compiz, etc..

Comment

Working...
                    X