Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org 7.4 To Lose DRI2 Support

Phoronix: X.Org 7.4 To Lose DRI2 Support

It's six months late and X.Org 7.4 still hasn't shipped as its being held up on the release of Mesa 7.1. Hopefully though we'll see the release of Mesa 7.1, X.Org 7.4, and the X Server 1.5 in the very near future...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At this rate, why not skip XServer 1.5 altogether and jump straight into 1.6? Without all the features that have been stripped from it, what improvements are there over XServer 1.4 in the current 1.5-rc series?

Comment

In other words...

In other words, no Compiz + OGL + Video for another full year? My god come on! How long can I wait? I've waited a full year and now another, I made my decision to not go to nvidia because there is the Directed Indirect Rendering hope for next release of X.Org, now all hell break loose and I am going to stick to Windows for another year, I will have to re-consider Vista now.

So sad, but that's the truth, that's the world isn't it?

Comment

What about those drivers that are using ttm like xf86-ati? Why not just keep it and then modify it later?

Can I just ask what is the point of xorg 7.4? What new features are remaining? 6 months late and they are still removing features, when will it stop...by the time it gets around to being released its going to be called xorg 7.3

They really should just dump the whole thing and go straight for 7.5.
        Last edited by _txf_; 04 August 2008, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
          In other words, no Compiz + OGL + Video for another full year? My god come on! How long can I wait? I've waited a full year and now another, I made my decision to not go to nvidia because there is the Directed Indirect Rendering hope for next release of X.Org, now all hell break loose and I am going to stick to Windows for another year, I will have to re-consider Vista now.

So sad, but that's the truth, that's the world isn't it?
          As a Vista user on my laptop, I can tell you, I'd much rather reconsider using nVidia than using Vista. Seriously. But that'd be your call, of course.

Comment

1.5 still has some badly needed EXA improvements compared to 1.4.x with the radeon driver, which is why I've been using everything from git for almost a year now. Hopefully I'll get to use the stable 1.5 release for a while before I get the itching to try DMX when it appears in tree (if it isn't there already?).

I've never quite gotten TTM to work correctly from git using the x11 gentoo overlay on my intel hardware so I could care less. The code is out there though, presumably in working condition as shipped with Fedora?

Comment

Yes, it works in Fedora, and is frequently updated. But other than EXA, what else justifies a major release version from 1.4 in the shape of 1.5?

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                At this rate, why not skip XServer 1.5 altogether and jump straight into 1.6? Without all the features that have been stripped from it, what improvements are there over XServer 1.4 in the current 1.5-rc series?
                Yeah, I was going to ask, "So what will be in the Xorg 7.4 release." It seems that the should have just left the things in there, for example, my understand MPX is ready to go in. BTW I do believe feature freeze means you don't remove features too.

Comment

So the features that AMD users need are still "right around the corner" indefinitely, again. While NVidia users, though far from desktop Nirvana, continue to happily enjoy all features of Compiz as they have from the beginning of Compiz time. So, I have a couple of questions then. First, if AMD is so open source friendly now, why do they not contribute resources to a DRI2 implementation since that would directly support their open source efforts? Second, if the open source community can be counted on to fix their own problems then why such troubling failures from the Xorg project? Perhaps some of the kernel developers should spend less time writing petitions and flaming closed source supporters of Linux and spend more time lending a helping hand to the obviously understaffed Xorg team and addressing more pressing concerns that continue to hold Linux back. Physician, heal thyself.

Comment

this really makes me want to learn C and help out, instead of pointless b_tching.

Comment

Working...
                    X