Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDMI Audio

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    There is a branch in radeonhd (HDMI-Audio) with an experimental patch to enable audio. The branch was created a couple of weeks ago before we pushed the last round of acceleration code but it might be worth a try.
    How can I find this? I did the git per the wiki

git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-radeonhd

I did git pull and it said it was up to date.

i dont think Xorg (and its drivers) have anything to do with audio. i think it has to be done at the kernel/alsa level.

Comment

Originally posted by shaoh View Post
      i dont think Xorg (and its drivers) have anything to do with audio. i think it has to be done at the kernel/alsa level.
      I started this thread here as our previous discussion, for the 780g, was on the proprietary driver but a comment branched into the open source dirvers. The comment was in the AMD/ATI Linux -- "Ask ATI" dev thread. In those threads (#293-#300) it was stated that fglrx was needed to enable the sound over the hdmi stream.

Another thread was started evidently to focus the discussion on sound via hdmi. There I discussed the kernel/alsa settings to enable sound over hdmi. That is where bridgman made the comment about the experimental branch for radeonhd to enable audio streaming over hdmi.

So, how do we see, get, install experimental branch to try this out?
      Last edited by forum1793; 03 August 2008, 09:24 AM. Reason: fix link

Comment

forum1793: the wiki instructions get you the code from master and mention "if you want code from a branch go read the git instructions" or something like that. I don't remember the instructions off the top of my head for a branch but Google gave me :

git checkout -b HDMI-Audio origin/HDMI-Audio

Not sure if "origin" needs to be replaced with something else.

This will create a new directory. If you already have done this in the past, you can download the latest stable version with this command:

git pull origin HDMI-Audio

Git instructions borrowed and fudged from http://www.kdbg.org/download.php

Shaoh: you need both -- the audio drivers run the audio hardware, but the xorg drivers allow the audio hw output to be merged into the video stream from the GPU.
        Test signature

Comment

Looking around I found this

But I don't understand how to use git well enough or what I'm supposed to do with commit and the diffs. I almost just copied the files over individually.

git checkout -b HDMI-Audio origin/HDMI-Audio
          I cd to main radeonhd directory and issued that command. Yes. This worked. Looking at the directory I do not see any new subdirectories. The command either created new files or overwrote the old files.

sh autogen.sh
          make
          make install

This puts them in /usr/local/lib/xorg...
          I deleted the files at /usr/lib/xorg... and made symlinks to the /usr/local/lib/xorg radeonhd files (radeonhd_drv: .la and .so)

exit X and restart X

No sound. Are there any logs or info I could provide that would help?

Question for you,
          I rmmod flgrx and agpgart and then renamed flgrx.ko so it would not load before running radeonhd. But, when running fglrx, it was loaded as module and there is also a flgrx_drv in the /usr/lib.... So, when running radeonhd_drv should I also have radeonhd loaded as module?
          Last edited by forum1793; 03 August 2008, 12:42 PM. Reason: Fix typo

Comment

xorg log shows following

Code:
            (II) RADEONHD: X driver for the following AMD GPG (ATI) graphics devices:
            	RV505 : Radeon X1550, X1550 64bit.
            	RV515 : Radeon X1300, X1550, X1600; FireGL V3300, V3350.
            	RS600 : Radeon Xpress 1200, Xpress 1250.
            	RS690 : Radeon X1200, X1250, X1270.
            	RS740 : RS740, RS740M.
            	RS780 : Radeon HD 3100/3200/3300 Series.
            	RV770 : Radeon HD 4800 Series; Everest, K2, Denali ATI FirePro.

(II) RADEONHD: version 1.2.1, built from git branch HDMI-Audio, commit 2fe6021c
            So the new stuff is in there. Are there any settings I need to change or should the settings that allow it to work in fglrx work here also? In fgrlx, all I had to do was pick right alsa settings and I haven't changed them since.

Comment

Working...
            X