No announcement yet.

Boxee: A New Competitor For MythTV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boxee looks like it's operating okay. The interface, while very sleek looking, is pretty cumbersome to use. So far, none of the internet videos have worked out for me. I tried playing the Dark Knight trailer which took a while to load and buffered a long time to show a few seconds of footage. The CNET prizefight video did not load at all. Maybe that's internet connection issues though.

I did play local videos which worked pretty okay. Definitely a good first step but there's a long road ahead.

Question, what does pressing x on the keyboard do? It seems to freeze Boxee for me. Is it the freeze key? lol.

Comment

Boxee turns out to be the perfect media center.It fetches album art "video art", lyrics and many info about my media.
      The interface and the mouse integration needs a little more work but boxee is alpha so I'm confident they will fix it.

Great program guys
      Thanks Michael for the invite.

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
        Boxee looks like it's operating okay. The interface, while very sleek looking, is pretty cumbersome to use. So far, none of the internet videos have worked out for me. I tried playing the Dark Knight trailer which took a while to load and buffered a long time to show a few seconds of footage. The CNET prizefight video did not load at all. Maybe that's internet connection issues though.

I did play local videos which worked pretty okay. Definitely a good first step but there's a long road ahead.

Question, what does pressing x on the keyboard do? It seems to freeze Boxee for me. Is it the freeze key? lol.
        sorry it is slow for you. probably the Internet connection.

'x' on the keyboard stops the currently playing media.

Comment

Originally posted by avneron View Post
          sorry it is slow for you. probably the Internet connection.

'x' on the keyboard stops the currently playing media.
          No worries. It's alpha software anyway. I wonder if there's a document we can read that lists down all the commands. I'd want to know more about them. Pretty good software, that's for sure.

Comment

I for one welcome boxee. I've been a myth user for a while but I have no interest in the TV aspect of it. My HTPC is basically used for serving media. Having the addition of online media is great. Recently of been noticing that on a lazy Saturday night, me and my wife would be more inclined to sit by the computer and spend a few hours on Funny or Die than we would be to channel surf. It's a paradigm shift in my viewing habits that I've been long hoping for and I'm glad boxee will let me bring it to the comfort of my couch (instead of the relative discomfort of my desk).

Comment

If it's a XBMC that can download and manage my podcasts I've died and gone to heaven. I know the big hook is supposed to be the online community aspect but XMBC + Podcasts is all I want in life

Comment

Yes there are Podcast/Videocast addons for XBMC (which could easily be added by yourself to Boxee as well).

Both XBMC and Boxee supports python scripts and python plugins (note that a script and a plugin is not the same thing even though they are both python based).

You can make a python script for anything and make it look like anything (no restrictions but your own python scripting skills), and you can make a python plugin for any audio/video download website or internet streaming source as long as it is not DRM protected. Plugins are not as flexible as scripts but they are instream much easier to write as you do not need to write the GUI part, all you write is the grabbing and parsing of the audio/video streams to present that list to XBMC/Boxee which it displays using its built-in listings functions.

Comment

*Casts raise undead thread through Necromancy*

The latest release is pretty good, but the internet streaming videos added are utterly useless if you don't live in the US.

I've always wanted that, but oh well. You can't have everything.

Comment

Working...
                  X