Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does WINE work well with radeon drivers for D3D games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by molletts View Post
    Those unhandled page faults at 0x00000000 look very familiar to me - it's exactly what I get when trying to run Homeworld2 (basic or Complex) under Wine using the r300g driver (latest git, tracked for ages and tested every time I update) on my X850XT. It works brilliantly on fglrx (better than on Windows - I never got it to work without show-stopping rendering errors on an XP dual-boot when I tried that, nor did a friend with a 3850, although it's fine with Intel and nVidia cards) but I've had to keep a special "frozen in time" dual-boot installation on my system just for that purpose as R400 support was dropped from fglrx years ago and the last version to support my card doesn't support kernels newer than 2.6.28 or X server newer than something ancient like 1.4.

It also works fine (albeit with performance issues in the last few Wine versions) on a modern GeForce GTX460-based system running the nVidia blob with latest kernel/wine/xorg.

If anyone wants me to try any specific tests, etc., to try and pin down the problem, just let me know.

Stephen
    No idea if you're helped by this, but I just tried the Homeworld2 demo with r600g and it's working fine if started with -nopbuffer (this seems to be a problem with Wine).

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
      No idea if you're helped by this, but I just tried the Homeworld2 demo with r600g and it's working fine if started with -nopbuffer (this seems to be a problem with Wine).
      Just tried it - no difference. I remember reading that hint in the Wine AppDB but I've never needed to use -nopbuffer myself to get it working, nor have I been able to discern any difference in performance with or without that option.

Comment

Yesterday, I played with four EVE-Online in the same time with my 4870HD and r600g.

I love these drivers!

Comment

Yep, that's probably a much better test case. I had a similar experience with Fallout 3 (same engine if I'm not mistaken). Renders fine, a little bit slow, but playable.

Comment

Working...
          X