Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does WINE work well with radeon drivers for D3D games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel support for Wine is spotty at best. I have filed quite a few bugs. Some are specific to the i965 driver (such as Portal being broken) others seems to be specific to Mesa as a whole.

I doubt Wine (and gaming in general) is a priority for the Intel developers at the moment. But given time, I hope things will improve.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
      i test some of my games no directX game work for me on the radeon opensource driver.

it always tells me that i need to install the directX9 sdk but i do have install all dx stuff.

i think openGL3.2 is needed by wine.
      Nope. Either the games you're trying to run isn't well supported, or you're Doing Something Wrong?.

Comment

I, for one, compile and install mesa/wine inside a 32 bit chroot. This way it's easier to manage and dependencies stay up-to-date (no more waiting for ia32-libs to catch up on debian)

Also regarding the last bit, most games I've been playing around with will crash if 2 monitors are running and in order to work around this, one must be disabled:
        $ xrandr --output DVI-1 --off

Also note, the only game I've tried that is playable at all is CS: Source. Every other game experiences its own set of bugs/crashes. However you may have better luck. My sample size is quite low, consisting of all the GTAs and the 2 Halos out for pc

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          My understanding is that the Intel open source drivers are around GL 1.5 while the ATI open source drivers are "1.3 with nearly all of the 1.4 features". Not sure exactly how that maps into which apps run well on Wine.
          I know that this question is stupid and might have been already asked millions of time, why don't you just focus in get openGL3.x support instead of going version 1.0 up to 3.3? R600 do support openLG3.3, right?

Comment

LOL, this is a topic dated 2008
            Anyway we almost reached OpenGL 3.0 now
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Setlec View Post
              ... why don't you just focus in get openGL3.x support instead of going version 1.0 up to 3.3? R600 do support openLG3.3, right?
              Each new GL level require most or all of the functionality from preceding levels. There are a couple of exceptions where a new level deprecates older functionality, but so far in each of those cases the older functionality is required for popular apps anyways.
              Test signature

Comment

old but gold tropic... if i try to play arma2 with the radeon a black screen is the result and this error message in the console:

wine arma2.exe

fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x170f4d4,0x00000000), stub!
                fixme:ddrawirectDrawEnumerateExA flags 0x00000007 not handled
                fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x170efa8,0x00000000), stub!
                fixme:d3d:resource_check_usage Unhandled usage flags 0x28.
                fixme:d3d:resource_check_usage Unhandled usage flags 0x8.
                fixme:d3d:query_init Unhandled query type 0x5.
                wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address (nil) (thread 0033), starting debugger...
                Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000000 in 32-bit code (0x00000000).
                I really don't know about specific titles, but games does overall work quite well with Mesa. This one though, is quite badly supported in Wine in general, so no surprise really:
                Open Source Software for running Windows applications on other operating systems.

You are much better off seeking support in Wine forums/mailing lists rather than jumping to conclusions.

Comment

@Q

your wine tests are useless when you dont install updated 32 bit mesa packages on a 64 bit install. use 32 bit if you dont know how to do.

Comment

Looks familiar

Those unhandled page faults at 0x00000000 look very familiar to me - it's exactly what I get when trying to run Homeworld2 (basic or Complex) under Wine using the r300g driver (latest git, tracked for ages and tested every time I update) on my X850XT. It works brilliantly on fglrx (better than on Windows - I never got it to work without show-stopping rendering errors on an XP dual-boot when I tried that, nor did a friend with a 3850, although it's fine with Intel and nVidia cards) but I've had to keep a special "frozen in time" dual-boot installation on my system just for that purpose as R400 support was dropped from fglrx years ago and the last version to support my card doesn't support kernels newer than 2.6.28 or X server newer than something ancient like 1.4.

It also works fine (albeit with performance issues in the last few Wine versions) on a modern GeForce GTX460-based system running the nVidia blob with latest kernel/wine/xorg.

If anyone wants me to try any specific tests, etc., to try and pin down the problem, just let me know.

Stephen

Comment

old but gold tropic...
                      Wine does work very well with open drivers, the *REAL* problem are the performance because Windows games are much more demanding and OSS drivers are still badly optimized.
                      ## VGA ##
                      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                      X