Future of my support for ATI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by siggma View Post
    The future of our entire society is at stake and ATI is small part of that stake. Business is about people, when it becomes about deceiving soneone into purchasing a product just to sell the product and make $$$, it's not business anymore, it's gambling. The difference is that busienss carries risk that can be managed through experience. Gambling carries risk that cannot. It's a guarantee of failure. Look around at what's going on?

Wny is labor worth less today than it was yesterday when experience is greater?
    Why do we have inflation?
    is it acceptable or honest to try to force one country to be like us?
    Do you have children?
    Do you want to be part of raping their future?

-Tom
    I knew it the war in Iraq wasn't about WMDs, or even about oil - ATi drivers set the world on fire!?

Jokes aside, the drivers have improved - they might not be perfect yet, but I sure believe it's on the right track. The fact that an ATi-guy is watching this forum is nice indication, and the fact he takes his time to answer someone talking in the tone of your posts.. well, that's proof to me.

If you want some to do a better job, encourage them instead of trolling about and shouting "children-future-rapers!".. just an idea!

Comment

• [ This site makes it hard to tell which text was written by
      which author. Below, the lines beginning with ">" are
      quotes, but probably not all from the same person. ]

> The text on this site is very tiny

Some browsers allow changing the size of text.

> and the editor is even worse.

I compose replies in emacs and cut-and-paste text into the
      edit spot in the browser window.

> Whose hardware would you buy instead, and why ?

Appariently VIA Chrome has FLOSS XvMC support. When can we
      expect FLOSS XvMC support for AMD/ATI? Appariently even Xv
      isn't working correctly yet?

> The only other 3D issue I can think of is running 3D apps

3D apps? Have FLOSS 3D CAD apps appeared when I wasn't looking?

> you want to run our proprietary drivers if you want to see proprietary features

Binary-only drivers are absolutely not acceptable. Ever.

> Why do we have inflation?

Because the Federal Reserve WANTS inflation. I'm not sure what this has
      to do with getting chips documented and FLOSS drivers written?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dieter View Post
        3D apps? Have FLOSS 3D CAD apps appeared when I wasn't looking?
        Yeah, quite a few differing CAD and professional class modelling, simulation and GIS tools. 3D isn't all about games on Linux- far, far from it.

I have listed a few that were off the top of my head the moment you mentioned 3D FOSS CAD- and this doesn't even get into the pro tool category where they wouldn't mind having a quick way to get going without spending time fighting with the proprietary drivers.

Oh, by the way...

Originally posted by Dieter
        "This site makes it hard to tell which text was written by
        which author. Below, the lines beginning with ">" are
        quotes, but probably not all from the same person."
        If you're doing the quotes right, each bracketed item with the web BB 'quote=<name>' delimiter followed by the corresponding '/quote', it should come out fine. For example...

Originally posted by OUTER
        This is a nested quote
        Originally posted by NESTED_INNER
        And this is the inside quote nested...
        it should just work nicely and if you quote me, you'll see what what I mean...
        Last edited by Svartalf; 26 August 2008, 12:33 AM.

Comment

• Boy, this forum is sure worth my time

Comment

• Thanks for the pointers to the CAD apps.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deiter
              Because the Federal Reserve WANTS inflation.
              If the FED wanted inflation, the FFR wouldn't be where it is.

Comment

• em, the FED really wants inflation. All central banks want inflation. A controlled not too high inflation.

Comment

• In the sense that they don't want _de_flation, that's probably true.

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    I guess that would be me. Hi !!
                    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    I think we are supporting Linux quite a bit today, aren't we ? Whose hardware would you buy instead, and why ?
                    ehhh, yeah.... Why dont you do a little test k?
                    1. Go to computer store
                    2. Buy 2 graphics cards, 1 ATi and 1 Nvidia
                    --- eg HD4850 and 9800gtx about on par, n'est pas?
                    3. Go home and install a new game on wine.
                    --- eg. Call of Duty 4
                    Prince of Persia - Warrior Within
                    Team Fortress 2
                    Half Life 2
                    S.T.A.L.K.E.R etc.. well you catch my drift.
                    4. Try play game with your new ATi and Nvidia card

If you can play even one!!! of those on your new ATi card, then i'll remove the word "absolute" from "ATi Linux support is absolute bullshit"

Oh and in case you're wondering, I can play all those and more with my Nvidia card, and have compiz going at the same time. An my Nvidia card is 2 years old! Crazy how a 2 year old Nvidia product runs better on Linux then the best ATi has.

What aspect of the 3D support are you unhappy with ? We are still shaking some issues out of the new 3D code base but I think the stack is running pretty well other than (ahem) Windows apps under Wine.
                    Hmm, do you guys know what "Regression" means? hmmm.
                    Please dont do testing with glxgears okaaaaaiy.
                    If I got a penny from ATi every time I saw a double free segfault from that shit, wow, i'd have bought ATi by now.

The only other 3D issue I can think of is running 3D apps under Compiz, where NVidia has an advantage because they didn't rely on the Linux framework and instead ported relatively more of their Windows driver stack to Linux allowing them to support Redirected Direct Rendering before Intel and AMD.
                    Crazy huh? wow even. Porting their windows driver to linux, amazing huh? Doesn't ATi have a windows driver? Might wanna try that out jimbo

Regarding video playback, have you tried the open source drivers on your 1650 recently ? Alex put a lot of work into adding good EXA render support and Textured Video (which works nicely even under Compiz) and that is now available on both the radeonhd and radeon drivers. The only missing thing in the framework right now is a good vsync solution in the compositor but that is being worked on.
                    That guy alex, god bless his heart, cos ATi will never. And yes, I for one am tracking master, and his changes are god sent for people running 4 YEAR OLD HARDWARE! I honestly should get myself a x1950 one of these days.

I would say Microsoft is threatened more by Apple on the desktop than by Linux. Have you seen a 1650-class ATI GPU running on a Mac ?
                    wtf has that have to do with anything? Its not like a Mac user would know what a graphics card is anyways.

It's going to be another 6-12 months before the Linux desktop infrastructure is going to be ready to start taking on Apple and Microsoft,
                    Wow, really? Good to know, I've only been using Linux for what.. 13years? At least now I can finally put it on my desktop, because in 6-12 months it's "Desktop Infrastructure" will be ready. Thanks B, cant wait.

but there is great progress and solutions seem to be worked out for all the key parts. Again, you want to be running the open drivers to see the framework progress fastest -- while you want to run our proprietary drivers if you want to see proprietary features first. Up to you.
                    "proprietary features" hey? Whats that? CrossFire? please, just get back to writing code.

I think Bill would disagree with you. Windows is the foundation of a very successful empire
                    A classmate of mine had a brand new S600 Mercedes, when we were in High School, you know how he got it?

Life is twice as hard, when it's honest.

I think the fastest growing OS right now is OS/X and AFAIK we do fully support it.
                    Nice, brave of you for saying something no one can vouch for. wine runs on OSX, so i wonder If i should try it and just flame you some more?

We also are steadily improving our Linux support.
                    "If you believe, they put a man on the moon, man on the mooooon", do you believe B?

[SNIP Life story]
                    Yep. Rough numbers right now - Microsoft 90% and dropping, Apple 7% and growing fairly quickly, Linux <1% and growing fairly slowly.
                    Yup, word of advice, don't quote the Inquirer.

We think Linux can grow faster if more vendors help it along and we're trying to do just that.
                    What specifically do you think we are doing wrong ?
                    You know, its people like ATi that actually damages Linux, Rather have 0 support and not have Linux boot on an ATi board then see X CRASH ALL THE TIME!

I understand that Microsoft OSes are not your choice and we are not trying to force you to use their products.
                    Wake up, smell the coffee. If I make hardware that works with X software, I am forcing my customers to use X software. Simple logic, you dont need to be a rocket scientist for that one.
                    But you could always argue "doh microsoft compatibility pays the bills". true, wont argue with that, if you said it, No one asked for a hands out. People who use Linux are not poor or mentally retarded. But we aren't high speed logic analysers, jtag readers or fortune tellers, we cant tell how your hardware works if you dont tell us.

Dont mistake me for some Nvidia fanboy. I've own more ATi cards than Nvidia ones, so the pain is real.

Comment

• cruiseoveride:

if you want to stick around on the forums, post something productive but not useless attacks.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X