Install questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install questions

Right now my main computer uses a nvidia card, but I have several computers that use an ati card. I want to install linux on them but I am not sure how the Ati drivers are at this moment in time.

My questions are as follows.
    1.Does compiz and games work yet?
    2.Does compiz and video work correctly yet?
    3.Has the installation process on Ubuntu gotten simpler?
    4.Are people still getting over heating issues with the cards, and linux drivers?

Originally posted by Spydr4590 View Post
    Right now my main computer uses a nvidia card, but I have several computers that use an ati card. I want to install linux on them but I am not sure how the Ati drivers are at this moment in time.

My questions are as follows.
    1.Does compiz and games work yet?
    Yes.

2.Does compiz and video work correctly yet?
    Yes, but with lots of tearing most of the time.

3.Has the installation process on Ubuntu gotten simpler?
    It was simple enough that even a potato could install it to begin with, so I really can't imagine what "simpler" means

4.Are people still getting over heating issues with the cards, and linux drivers?
    With the closed source Catalyst drivers, yes. With the open source drivers, no, it's fine there.

But instead of asking, you can just boot the latest live DVD; it will auto-detect ATI and fire up Compiz. If not, try the Sabayon Linux 3.5 live DVD (I tested it; it automatically loads the Catalyst driver and Compiz Fusion).
    Last edited by RealNC; 30 July 2008, 08:00 AM.

Comment

I wasn't clear on Question one, let me rephrase that. Does compiz and gaming work at the same time? Meaning I have compiz turned on and I can run games with no flickering?

Comment

Originally posted by Spydr4590 View Post
        I wasn't clear on Question one, let me rephrase that. Does compiz and gaming work at the same time? Meaning I have compiz turned on and I can run games with no flickering?

Yes, as long as they're in fullscreen.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
          Yes, as long as they're in fullscreen.
          Thanks Melcar! I was hoping I could run them in window mode.

Comment

I still recommend to download a Sabayon 3.5 live DVD and test it first-hand :P

Comment

What does compiz do for you anyway?

Comment

THat's a good question....been meaning to ask it myself.

Comment

If you're a true Open Source supporter, ask not what Compiz can do for you; ask what you can do for Compiz :P

Well, it enhances the look&feel and *if configured properly* enhances usability. Like KDE 4 compositing aims to do.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    I still recommend to download a Sabayon 3.5 live DVD and test it first-hand :P
                    Thanks for the help too RealNC, and no I don't want to try and install ATI drives at this moment in time However that being said I will have to soon for a guide I am writing, so I'll be taking the plunge!

Comment

Working...
                    X