Trying Out Microsoft Visual Studio Code On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somewhat off topic but someone linked this

Ropes in Intel, AMD, and Nvidia There are some very dark rumours about what Microsoft is planning for Windows 10 and the 4K television standard and it seems to have roped in Intel, AMD, Nvidia, and Qualcomm. PCWorld has uncovered a plan which will see Microsoft infect 4K movie content with a hardwar...

Never trust MS.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
      Yeah, that's the only motive they could possibly have as far as I can see. They already dominate IM with Skype, which happened through exactly this strategy...

But there has to be another reason for this, normally when M$ use this strategy it's to force software onto their Windows platform and off other platforms, this is a very sudden change of attitude, EEE or not; what could they possibly be hoping to achieve from all this in the long term? I mean they're technically not providing us with anything we don't already have... I mean, I wouldn't trust their LLVM based cross platform compiler unless they paid me for it, why are they bothering?

(or maybe that's the plan? creating a compiler that has shitty support for compiling Linux and Mac applications to make it easier for developers to develop cross platform applications on windows without testing on the other platforms, and then compromising the quality of the ports to platforms that aren't windows? but that's just too obvious if that's what they're doing here...)
      Or maybe that's the plan? They don't see long term market for workstation beside development ? That's why they are pushing on metro based DE, the next step is to completely switch to embedded devices. Gaming ? They have their console, and valve could potentially drag a fair amount of pc gamer on they linux distro. Day to day work ? People can already send may with their phones and so on, and they maybe have long term plans with surface like devices, light tablets with software (Excel, word) as a service. Server side ? They are releasing their c# runtime so I don't expect huge fight there.

Comment

Originally posted by by.peroux View Post
        Or maybe that's the plan? They don't see long term market for workstation beside development ? That's why they are pushing on metro based DE, the next step is to completely switch to embedded devices. Gaming ? They have their console, and valve could potentially drag a fair amount of pc gamer on they linux distro. Day to day work ? People can already send may with their phones and so on, and they maybe have long term plans with surface like devices, light tablets with software (Excel, word) as a service. Server side ? They are releasing their c# runtime so I don't expect huge fight there.
        I guess you haven't really paid attention to Win10 which is out next Summer and in which Microsoft basically admits Metro for desktop users was a mistake

Comment

does it have a nearly perfect VIM keybinding like in Visual Studio?

Comment

Originally posted by swoorup View Post
            Why all the hate? This is a good sign that Microsoft does consider Linux users too. So you want Microsoft to steer away from Linux? People complain that they don't have as good IDE as Visual Studio on linux.
            Visual Studio is a HORRIBLE ide and its slow and TFS sucks ape balls and I use these everyday at work.

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post
              This editor is based off of GitHub's Atom, and it's Linux support is just as terrible.
              Why do all these Node.JS/Chrom(e/ium) app container applications have to suck so badly?
              it's

Really?

Comment

A sure sign of the impending apocalypse. Rivers will run red with blood and yellow with urine! Cats will be seen eating dog food! Horses will start eating horses. I will be in my bunker.

Comment

Originally posted by Remote User View Post
                  it's

Really?
                  You're being a grammar nazi over one of the most common and in fact benign mistakes people make, in a forum where people from all over the world come to discuss, and where far more heinous abuses of the English grammar occur.

Really?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                    You're being a grammar nazi over one of the most common and in fact benign mistakes people make, in a forum where people from all over the world come to discuss, and where far more heinous abuses of the English grammar occur.

Really?
                    Can I then assume that you're OK with the common, and in fact benign mistakes people writing code make, in programs used by people all over the world? Or do you have a different standard for people who write code?

Comment

Originally posted by RoninDusette View Post
                      ... The market for a desktop or laptop is different than that of a mobile device (which is usually a phone, not a work computer sized tablet). ...
                      I always thought a laptop and a tablet are mobile devices ...

Comment

Working...
                      X