No announcement yet.

KDE 4.1 Released, KDE 4.2 In January

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Qt has widespread acceptance as it is dual licensed. For proprietary apps you have to pay, but if you want to develop OS apps its free. It is the best of both worlds.

Add that to the fact that you can practically make an app that compiles and works (mostly) an all 3 major oses...Many kde apps compiled and worked out of the box on osx and windows and ultimately is something that could bring many more developers to linux.

Urgh didn't want to come across as a salesman, but ultimately it works out better than gtk (which suffers somewhat from lack of resources).

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
      I remember reading somewhere that KDE has a bigger user base, but that GNOME is more accepted by the big distros.
      Last year was the first year that gnome lead KDE according to the 2007 linux survey. No doubt that can easily change from year to year, with the release of KDE 4.1 it could change quite quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Last year was the first year that gnome lead KDE according to the 2007 linux survey. No doubt that can easily change from year to year, with the release of KDE 4.1 it could change quite quickly.

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS8454912761.html
        I suspect the drop in kde userbase was probably the lack of major development on 3.5. Having said that most major distros pushing gnome (minus suse) probably means that gnome will hsve a larger userbase in general.

Comment

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS8454912761.html
          I dunno, the polls at Linuxquestions are always won by KDE, for instance.

Comment

Originally posted by _txf_ View Post
            I suspect the drop in kde userbase was probably the lack of major development on 3.5. Having said that most major distros pushing gnome (minus suse) probably means that gnome will hsve a larger userbase in general.

I wouldn't say suse pushes KDE as it is neutral, Gnome or KDE take your pick (or others if you wish as it doesn't default to any). Suse just does a lot more development on KDE then other distro's. Once you get away from the Redhat/Debian(ubuntu) clones you actually have quite a few distros that default to KDE, such as Mepis, Mandriva, PCLinuxOS, Slackware, BlueWhite, Knoppix, Vector, etc etc.

Comment

I wouldn't say suse pushes KDE as it is neutral, Gnome or KDE take your pick
              neither did I , Just said that out of the majors it doesn't push gnome
              i.e the distros that get the most coverage. (If novell had their own way they'd be pushing solely gnome too)

Comment

I hope this will hit Gentoo's portage soon. Not being able to use Compiz is a drawback, but KDE 4 compositing also provides for an elegant working environment too.

Hm, KDE vs Gnome again... I feel Gnome is restricting me. There are many places where it tells me "we don't let you customize this and that because we don't want to confuse you". Well, KDE lets me customize this and that without confusing me.

Comment

KDE is great for people who like to tinker a lot of with their system and customize every single aspect.

It falls down pretty badly when the same people try to apply it to people who *don't* like to tinker with their system, but simply work, play, or do whatever else an os is designed for.

Then there are those said gnome people who think since they don't tinker with their system much, and they achieve great productivity on their gnome system, think kde people should be using it...

And it goes in circles like that. Only thing that might break this cycle is that KDE's top usability engineer just finding out about implicit save option and thinking that it "makes a lot of sense and makes the configuration and interaction with options much more natural."

So you never know what future has in store =)

Comment

I hate that feature. When I select a theme just to see its description and preview, Gnome applies it immediately. That's just wrong.
                    Last edited by RealNC; 29 July 2008, 10:22 PM. Reason: Embarrassing grammar :P

Comment

I know eh? This is one of the fundamental differences that sets KDE and Gnome design apart. The fact that KDE's top (at least in the press, everywhere) usability person a) never seen of it until recently, and b) likes it upon seeing it also bring some interesting thoughts

Comment

Working...
                      X