Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's Now More Than 1,100 Games On Steam For Linux

Phoronix: There's Now More Than 1,100 Games On Steam For Linux

It was just last month I wrote about there being more than 1,000 games on Steam for Linux/SteamOS. Recently, Steam crossed the 1,100 games milestone; over one hundred additions in just over one month!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be interesting to know how many of these are actually native (use opengl directly)

Comment

Though many of these Steam Linux game ports are indie titles and other non-AAA titles, aside from Valve's games being all ported over, Civilization: Beyond Earth, Metro LL/2033 Redux, BioShock Infinite, and the other limited high-profile Linux game releases from major studios.
      Yeah, right, it's because just a year after its release Steam is already largely incompatible (!!!) with modern Linux distros.

It will always be like this unless someone decides to fix the mess which is Linux right now.

For instance, LFS must be enforced. No, not just enforced, there must be a common set of 100% API/ABI compatible libraries (preferably compiled from the same sources with the same compilers and optimization flags) across all Linux distros for at least 5 to 7 years. You know, just like in Windows.

Right now, most distros are in the process of f*cking up libstdc++ backwards compatibility. You know, because GCC developers couldn't find a better way to introduce the new features of GCC 5.1. Isn't it amazing when the developers of core Linux userspace components (glibc and libstdc++) don't give a damn about compatibility.
      Last edited by birdie; 24 April 2015, 09:53 AM.

Comment

GOG

On GOG there are now almost 250 Games for Linux available. And all of them are DRM-free!

Comment

Love to see the Bohemia Interactive Studios (ARMA*/DayZ) games on Linux but lets be completely honest here, these guys have a hard enough time with one platform.

Comment

I do not understand why some of you whine so much about "bad ports". Yes performance may be a little behind but we now have real games and I do not regret any of my games bought on Steam, as they are all working well.

If Steam OS / Linux go beyond 10% there will be really less and less bugs/performance issue and more true native games.

Btw the fact is that now the "triple" Win/Mac/Lin version is frequent, this is very encouraging.

Comment

So how many games will stop working on distros shipping GCC 5.1 with the new liibstdc++ ABI enabled and all core components linking to this compiled with the new ABI? Especially considering you have to delete the libstdc++ from the Steam Runtime on many modern distros because it conflicts with the system-wide installed one. I've read that Fedora 23 and Ubuntu 15.10 plan to recompile all their C++-based packages or even all their packages with GCC 5.1 with the new ABI enabled, if applicable.

If problems do occur, I cannot imagine that all or even many of these Steam game developers will try recompiling their games to work with GCC 5.1 because that would break compatability with the older distros used as a minimum requirement for games. I'm hoping things just continue to magically work but I'm not so sure, seeing the conflicts that already exist with the Steam Runtime libs in modern distros.

Could Docker be a solution here?

Perhaps run Debian Wheezy-based SteamOS inside a Docker container on-top of a GCC 5.1 enabled distros?

https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/tianon/steamos/
              https://maci0.wordpress.com/2014/05/...am-pidgin-vlc/

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                I do not understand why some of you whine so much about "bad ports". Yes performance may be a little behind but we now have real games and I do not regret any of my games bought on Steam, as they are all working well.

If Steam OS / Linux go beyond 10% there will be really less and less bugs/performance issue and more true native games.

Btw the fact is that now the "triple" Win/Mac/Lin version is frequent, this is very encouraging.
                It's a never ending circle. Bad ports mean people don't want to play the linux version. Which means less people using Linux to play the games which lowers the percentage. Ultimately port quality and graphics driver stability are the only thing that will drive adoption. You need both to be as good as or better than Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                  So how many games will stop working on distros shipping GCC 5.1 with the new liibstdc++ ABI enabled and all core components linking to this compiled with the new ABI? Especially considering you have to delete the libstdc++ from the Steam Runtime on many modern distros because it conflicts with the system-wide installed one. I've read that Fedora 23 and Ubuntu 15.10 plan to recompile all their C++-based packages or even all their packages with GCC 5.1 with the new ABI enabled, if applicable.

If problems do occur, I cannot imagine that all or even many of these Steam game developers will try recompiling their games to work with GCC 5.1 because that would break compatability with the older distros used as a minimum requirement for games. I'm hoping things just continue to magically work but I'm not so sure, seeing the conflicts that already exist with the Steam Runtime libs in modern distros.

Could Docker be a solution here?

Perhaps run Debian Wheezy-based SteamOS inside a Docker container on-top of a GCC 5.1 enabled distros?

https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/tianon/steamos/
                  https://maci0.wordpress.com/2014/05/...am-pidgin-vlc/
                  couldn?t steam runtime just add gcc and libstdc++ 4.8 and the stuff thats connected with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Hohlraum View Post
                    It's a never ending circle. Bad ports mean people don't want to play the linux version. Which means less people using Linux to play the games which lowers the percentage. Ultimately port quality and graphics driver stability are the only thing that will drive adoption. You need both to be as good as or better than Windows.
                    the main thing that would drive adoption would be a main manufacturer (like Dell?) pre-installing linux / steamOS on cheap but fast and quiet machines. let?s hope valves partners get that right...

Comment

Working...
                    X