QtWebEngine Poses Problems For Debian, Distribution Vendors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post
    And your hard drive is 8000 GB? So what? The apps are supposed to use the space we have free. Not using space means it's a broken design, not taking advantage of the hardware.
    Ever heard of SSDs?

Comment

And your hard drive is 8000 GB? So what? The apps are supposed to use the space we have free. Not using space means it's a broken design, not taking advantage of the hardware.
      The saying is about RAM, not about disk storage. RAM is always better used than free since disk caches on all sane operating systems will occupy all free memory

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
        The saying is about RAM, not about disk storage. RAM is always better used than free since disk caches on all sane operating systems will occupy all free memory
        Actually, it's about disk storage too. Just that in case of disk storage, the free space should be occupied by snapshots.

Comment

I shudder to think how the perf would be if the disk was constantly writing and erasing snapshots. IO pauses every second.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            I shudder to think how the perf would be if the disk was constantly writing and erasing snapshots. IO pauses every second.
            Not constantly. Once per hour is enough (why you'd need them more often than that, anyway). Besides, making snapshots on Btrfs is free, due to CoW.

Comment

And your hard drive is 8000 GB?.
              120 gb on my own computer, 240 gb on the 2000? MacBook Pro I have at work.

Comment

One-browser sites should be considered broken

Originally posted by grigi View Post
                ugh, Chromium... ugh
                I hate the trend of sites that only work on Chrome. it is becoming the new IE.
                <snip>.
                I have yet to see such a site but would simply treat it as broken/down. There never has been and never will be any site on the Web I would install a special browser for. The IE issue also never came up for me since I never used the web for things like banking or shopping, and treated one-browser media as not having been posted at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                  I'm looking forward to Debian publishing a full GNOME 3.16.1. I have zero use for KDE outside of K3B and a few apps here and there. I enjoy some of the Qt Apps but I'll dump them all if the Qt/KDE continues to balloon in package numbers and drive space.

I'd rather devote 10GB to Engineering apps and not useless KDE apps
                  There's a pretty big difference between Qt and KDE. Traditionally, KDE was the bloated one, while Qt was pretty modular, but with KDE5 they've modularized their libraries to a much greater extent. Qt also seems to be the best library for cross-platform support - see the Subsurface video for why that's the case.

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  Not constantly. Once per hour is enough (why you'd need them more often than that, anyway). Besides, making snapshots on Btrfs is free, due to CoW.
                  I have daily snapshots on /home, and I can tell you that they are absolutely not free. The cost isn't in the storage, it's in the access time. Snapshots can cause frequently modified files to become heavily fragmented, which really sucks for mechanical hard drives. I put Chrome's cache on a tmpfs and created a separate XFS partition on my SSD for IO-heavy workloads (e.g. compiling large projects) to mitigate this. That makes it tolerable, but Chrome still takes something like 5-10 sec for a cold start.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    The way you wrote, the disk would be full constantly, so any write would trigger a removal of a snapshot, then a new snapshot would be written as space freed, ad infinitum.

Comment

Originally posted by rdnetto View Post
                      I have daily snapshots on /home, and I can tell you that they are absolutely not free. The cost isn't in the storage, it's in the access time. Snapshots can cause frequently modified files to become heavily fragmented, which really sucks for mechanical hard drives. I put Chrome's cache on a tmpfs and created a separate XFS partition on my SSD for IO-heavy workloads (e.g. compiling large projects) to mitigate this. That makes it tolerable, but Chrome still takes something like 5-10 sec for a cold start.
                      You can defrag and autodefrag.

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      The way you wrote, the disk would be full constantly, so any write would trigger a removal of a snapshot, then a new snapshot would be written as space freed, ad infinitum.
                      Yes, so?

Comment

Working...
                      X