QtWebEngine Poses Problems For Debian, Distribution Vendors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    Personally if I was making a 'lightweight system' I'd go for Enlightenment, but that's just because I'm not a fan of LXDE (though the LxQt project is interesting to me). Any particular reason youre avoiding KDE? Kwin and Plasma have been really focusing on cutting memory and CPU usage in the last few releases, if that's the reason.
    The problem in object affects Kubuntu!? I'm interested in LXQt implementation too.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
      QtWebEngine uses Blink, which is Chrome's multiprocess fork of Webkit, QtWebkit uses Webkit1
      Hm, that doesn't make much sense to me. Why have both?

Comment

OpenMandriva likes QtWebEngine...

We at OpenMandriva disagree -- we like QtWebEngine a lot. We're excited about finally having a decently embeddable browser engine with a nice API.
        We're not only packaging QtWebEngine, we'll also start using it in our distribution specific tools.

Yes, we'd like it even more if it used system libs instead of bundling its own copies - but not packaging it because of a glitch (one that is fixable too) is the exact kind of overreaction that helps keep Linux off average people's desktops.

Distributions must avoid getting lost in political decisions when they clearly affect the OS quality.

Yes, rules are good. But only as long as you can make exceptions if the benefit from that is big enough.

Comment

Even fat Firefox looks lightweight compared to Chromium.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            Hm, that doesn't make much sense to me. Why have both?
            QtWebkit are about to get deprecated.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
              I totally agree. Linux systems are a completely failure.
              “Linux systems” are not found on desktops in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                “Linux systems” are not found on desktops in the first place.
                I think problem is strctural: too much teams too much dispersion on work results. Don't like chrome, don't like to adapt programs to linux!? OK no problem. it occurs to make them in your own. How is it possible the same utilities have to be adapted in the several different distros of linux?! User needs more efficiency: to get the program to use the program. So libreoffice: the linux user has to choice considering the ambient in which he operates. This means programs are rigid too much dependant. One of the most simple microsoft program: Paint; cut image drag image resize image: simple quick and effective. little KB. Linux has similar programs much more great as MB but not effective in the same simple operations. Common user search for immediacy and simplicity. so programmers have to think as simple user.
                Last edited by Azrael5; 23 April 2015, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
                  QtWebkit are about to get deprecated.
                  Oh... Well, good to know, but if QtWebEngine is really the whole Chromium, then that might very well kill off things like QupZilla and rekonq... Also, QGIS depends on QtWebkit too, I wonder how they'll solve that...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    Oh... Well, good to know, but if QtWebEngine is really the whole Chromium, then that might very well kill off things like QupZilla and rekonq... Also, QGIS depends on QtWebkit too, I wonder how they'll solve that...
                    Chromium in this context is the not the chromium browser, but the Chromium project and APIs. Opera also uses Chromium. QtWebEngine is not a browser, but an API to write browsers with.

The benefit of wrapping the entire stack is that everything will work exactly like in Chromium. The disadvantage is that it is the entire Chromium stack (plus a heap of patches especially for Linux to make it integrate better than Chrome does).

Comment

Originally posted by LightBit View Post
                      Even fat Firefox looks lightweight compared to Chromium.
                      At least on my box (OpenMandriva Cooker x86_64), QtWebEngine is 68 MB (admittedly quite a bit too large). Firefox is 86 MB.

Comment

Working...
                      X