Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Favorite Computer Desk Of The Past Decade For Less Than $100

Phoronix: My Favorite Computer Desk Of The Past Decade For Less Than $100

My favorite computer desk of the past decade, and arguably my favorite ever, is back on sale and costing less than $100. In the past few years I've bought at least eight of them according to my transaction history and I continue to be very pleased by their quality and price...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

they were $20 cheaper last week

Comment

First off... Thank you Michael, I've been looking for a better desk for my apartment.

Secondly, how well do dry erase markers work on the glass? I have a habit of using my glass desks as quick-dry-erase boards.

Sidenote: The paint / material the new lenovo laptops are made of work great for pencil notes.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I still don't get how one can sit at these kinds of desks without hitting their shins every few minutes.

Although they do look shiny..

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
          I still don't get how one can sit at these kinds of desks without hitting their shins every few minutes.

Although they do look shiny..
          Yeah, those ones look pretty poor with respect to the placement of the cross braces along the back. Also an awful lot of diagonals... I've used something similar, but larger, and with the back cross brace back far enough to not be a problem with the shins.

See, much cleaner design and larger. The raised corner section can be installed flush with the rest of the surface just by leaving out the spacers. They usually come on sale for $100 CDN (thats $80 US) at the local big box office furniture store.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            First off... Thank you Michael, I've been looking for a better desk for my apartment.

Secondly, how well do dry erase markers work on the glass? I have a habit of using my glass desks as quick-dry-erase boards.

Sidenote: The paint / material the new lenovo laptops are made of work great for pencil notes.
            Haven't tried dry erase markers on them and unfortunately have none around to test.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
              I've used something similar, but larger, and with the back cross brace back far enough to not be a problem with the shins.
              Eh, still has cross braces. Currently I'm using a sturdy 4cm thick finished wooden table top with the four most stable legs I could find at the hardware store. No cross braces needed.

Below the desk, centered on the floor, is my sub woofer. Perfect position to rest my feet upon. I will never own a desk which puts cross braces in the way.

Wood is awesome in that you can pretty much screw anything below it. A power strip, hooks for cable management, you name it. A glass desk would always need to add cable management options. Of course, judging from Michael's fotos, Michael^WFatima doesn't seem to care much about tidy cable management.

But I do yearn for an L desk which is more beautiful than a wooden board with white legs that's been in use for 10 years. Alas, haven't found anything that fits my needs. Even the 1000€+ segment seems to focus on products that look beautiful in a furniture shop, but turn out to be an unusable mess when you actually try to hook up a computer and a laptop. Have you ever noticed how everyone in product photos seems to use entirely wireless equipment?
              Last edited by rohcQaH; 22 April 2015, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

What... Maybe you should change that habit and use KWrite or such as erasable boards?

Comment

Hah.. "Laptop battery ran out, no matter, I only carry it to scribble physically on it anyway"

Comment

I'm sitting in front of one of these (black) right now.

It is amazing value for the money, and very handsome, but there are small issues that do show that you get what you pay for.

For those asking: yes, fingerprints show up like crazy on the glass. You either have to be a clean freak who constantly wipes them off, or an apathetic slob like me. I recommend being an apathetic slob: life is so much easier and relaxed!

You will likely also need a good mouse pad -- the glass top is not optical mouse-friendly.

An interesting side effect is how glass-and-metal responds to speaker vibrations (assuming you put your speakers on the table). It's mystical.

Comment

Working...
                    X