• Show
Clear All

trying that TearFree patch
    seems to help
    (glamor, no compositor, 4670)
    mozilla no longer has that tear half way now

Comment

Originally posted by bibaheu View Post
      I use a HD5770 with two monitors, one of them rotated.
      In the rotated one, the tearing is horrible. Meanwhile the main monitor is perfect. It's nice they are fixing a problem I didn't report
      I have the same monitor setup as you (one landscape, one portrait). It does say in the comments that it's not enabled for rotated displays, and I can confirm after testing it that it doesn't make a difference for my portrait display. But my landscape display seems perfectly smooth now.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        Desktop: tearing
        Games: forced vsync

Currently they know exactly how NOT to do it...
        Yeah, I want a tear-free desktop (vsync on), but not vsync in games. Also, I don't want vsync to turn off for every fullscreen window, because tearing in videos is unbearable. Only specifically games.

Comment

Cool, finally some option for those who does not use composite or if they do but don't want to be vblanked

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
            Yeah, I want a tear-free desktop (vsync on), but not vsync in games. Also, I don't want vsync to turn off for every fullscreen window, because tearing in videos is unbearable. Only specifically games.
            It's interesting because I didn't know this was even a problem, not the vsync in games (which you can turn off) but desktop tearing.

I have had a bumpy ride with the 7870 and radeonsi (crash happy wouldn't even begin to describe it)*. There's DOTA2 crashes with anything that produces clones images (naga siren, morphling), CS:GO has so much graphical glitches it could induce a seizure and all that be damned that I haven't had the smoothest desktop experience and tear free to boot.

*It's well known the 7870's crashed every 5-10 minutes using the opensource drivers, this isn't FUD.

Comment

Image tearing. In 2015...

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
                Well, tearing prevention does belong in the category of hard problems. Just think how much money was put into FreeSync and friends

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
                  I know right! For instance, my GTX 660 tears so much, games are unplayable unless compositing with specific tearing prevention options is enabled!

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                    Yeah, I want a tear-free desktop (vsync on), but not vsync in games.
                    everyone sane wants tear-free freesync both desktop and games.

Comment

Originally posted by sandain View Post
                      Isn't the modesetting driver already tear-free? I switched over to using the modesetting driver when I installed xorg 1.17, and find my user experience much better for it. Drop the -ati driver already, it is not needed any more.
                      How did you switch to the modesetting driver? I tried looking, but couldnt find anything. Need a hint, would love to try it

Comment

Working...
                      X