Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From whatever reason on X start here amdgpu ddx suffered from:

Code:
    /usr/bin/X: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/amdgpu_drv.so: undefined symbol: gbm_create_device
    But OK got it working with modesetting ddx on Kabini

Comment

Wayland?

can this already bring wayland support? can anyone use this on fedora 22 on wayland?, does Xwayland work on this puppy?

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
        Linux kernel forbids to have two drivers for the same hardware.
        Who says that? There are numerous counterexamples to this. From the top of my head:

IDE vs. libata PATA drivers
        old vs. new FireWire stack
        e100 vs. eepro100
        b43 vs. brcm80211
        Framebuffer vs. KMS DRM graphics drivers

At most you need to have some clear path which driver is the preferred one in the long run, and the other being eventually deprecated and removed.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          From whatever reason on X start here amdgpu ddx suffered from:

Code:
          /usr/bin/X: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/amdgpu_drv.so: undefined symbol: gbm_create_device
          But OK got it working with modesetting ddx on Kabini
          I think the undefined symbol is the dependency on the Mesa GBM (Generic Buffer Management) Support being required for this driver. I suggest building mesa with the following options added...
          --enable-shared-glapi --enable-dri --enable-gbm

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
            Linux kernel forbids to have two drivers for the same hardware. That's why Michael wrote this in the aritcle:

Maybe later they will disable radeonsi and activate amdgpu for the GPUs managed by radeonsi. But that's a big maybe and a big later, because until amdgpu driver is over, we might not really need a top notch driver for radeonsi GPUs.
            I think you got it the wrong way around. Old radeon driver isn't getting support for newer asics because you're only supposed to have one driver for them (amdgpu). On the other hand amdgpu will not get support for old asics because they're architecturally very different. Afaik large amount of the point of amgpu was to start fresh without worrying about a decade old or more hardware; radeon is already a lost cause in that sense

Comment

Originally posted by Dandeloreon View Post
              I think the undefined symbol is the dependency on the Mesa GBM (Generic Buffer Management) Support being required for this driver. I suggest building mesa with the following options added...
              --enable-shared-glapi --enable-dri --enable-gbm
              Yeah amdgpu ddx depends on right new gbm, i already have that options and builded ddx before (just in case) and correctly after new mesa installed... disabled dri3, but who knows for now nothing of those options helps.

Well this is on Kabini just for testing purpose i didn't expect any kind of support will be there other then missing include file in drm while instaled and that ddx problems... all works fine with server modesetting driver - vdpau, piglit, writing this, no gpu lockups... quite good for trying the first time .

Comment

Finally! Fantastic work by AMD. My next video card will be AMD because of this revolution, I really applause to them.

Comment

Yes! This is the day I have predicted. In the beginning there was my HD 3870 and the free driver wasn't better than a VESA driver (Catalyst was no option since I needed a kernel version higher than it would support to be able to use SATA). And I saw the free driver growing, it became better and better. Then came HD 5670. Chosen over a HD 6xxx because of probably better support and yes, it was fairly well. Got also better with time. Then E-350 was already fine, and I was surprised how well my Kabini is already running. And now there is good support for unreleased chips (R9 285 doesn't count ).
                  The day where chips are well supported before they hit the market. The day you can buy anything AMD and it will be working with the free driver stack, working out of the box. I always said this day will come and I think this release marks thsis day for me. Thanks, developer team!

So nice.

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                  Anyone know what Iceland is?
                  And island in the north... oh, wait.

I want to know, too. I googled and some site in German language speculated something of it being between low end and mid range. But this is speculation. Can't deduce from the name, Iceland should be the largest of volcanic islands, but then this could mean AMD sees it as a solid basement, or, because Iceland is cool they see it as the low power series or... or it's just coincidence.
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Ok, somebody please explain to a complete noob what all of this means. The way I understand it - AMD are pushing all current users under the bus. Yet I see people saying that the new driver will not be ready in a long time and we'll be stuck with fglrx for a while. Also what does it mean for performance because obviously this is the year that Linux gaming may gain momentum? If AMD are just going to be using the same old crappy driver for 90% of its user base why would I even bother to pup into my Linux partition - Photoshop and GTAV are on Windows anyway. My 290x struggles to keep 60fps on a game like Pillars of Eternity (in Linux) which has static hand drawn backgrounds. And that is with the latest beta driver. What about anybody who doesn't use Ubuntu or a derivative distro or people who don't want to use beta drivers? How are they going to catch up by November when the Steam Machines are coming?

Comment

I wish AMD more market share

Comment

Working...
                      X