GNOME 3.18 Release Schedule: 23 September Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    In other words, it is exactly about what you like or don't.
    Ah, it seems people think that what I wrote is subjective.
    But unfortunately bad things happened to GNOME, it just happens that I, as expected of a sane person, don't like what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
      Ah, it seems people think that what I wrote is subjective.
      But unfortunately bad things happened to GNOME, it just happens that I, as expected of a sane person, don't like what happened.
      Ah, it seems I was mistaken. Your claim is that anyone who doesn't have the same preferences as you is essentially insane. That goes well beyond regular subjective claims into extreme fundamentalism.

Comment

Ah, it seems I was mistaken. Your claim is that anyone who doesn't have the same preferences as you is essentially insane. That goes well beyond regular subjective claims into extreme fundamentalism.
        We could get at the table and with a couple of shots try to find some sanity and reason behind things that happend. But we wont, because lots of people tried and even I will be repeating myself here.
        This wouldn't be an issue if there was a proper explanation to some actions. Popular replies are "to ease code maintenance" and "won't fix".
        How would removing simpliest feature like abilty to rename tabs of a gnome-terminal will ease its code maintenance? Is that not some sick joke?
        I guess am unreasonable one and everything is ok.

Comment

I guess am unreasonable one and everything is ok.
          The unreasonableness is the claim that noone "sane" should have preferences different from yours. We can certainly have some conversations if you overall like something but have specific grievances but if you don't like anything about a particular approach, just pick one of the alternatives and move on. It is not as if someone is forcing you to use a desktop environment or software that you personally don't like.

Comment

The unreasonableness is the claim that noone "sane" should have preferences different from yours. We can certainly have some conversations if you overall like something but have specific grievances
            Talk is good too bad it gets cut off immediately on bugzilla. Cant help it then.

but if you don't like anything about a particular approach, just pick one of the alternatives and move on. It is not as if someone is forcing you to use a desktop environment or software that you personally don't like.
            Lets see: gotta replace terminal, gotta replace file manager, text editor... You realize that except Shell and compositor nothing is left and you have to pull half of another DE.
            You really want to love GNOME and its necessary evolution but... you recall that all that is missing was once there, no, not only in GNOME2, it was there in GNOME3 just a version ago and suddenly it is no more.

Comment

Talk is good too bad it gets cut off immediately on bugzilla. Cant help it then. .
              Bugzilla is for bug reports. It isn't a discussion forum like say Phoronix.

You really want to love GNOME and its necessary evolution but... you recall that all that is missing was once there, no, not only in GNOME2, it was there in GNOME3 just a version ago and suddenly it is no more.
              What prevents you from using some other desktop environment you prefer including say MATE?

Comment

And seriously, I don't want to push my preferences on others, you can deface apps the way you want and make it default. Its the other way around: you can't dislike the ability to rename terminal tabs can you? Or set picture in background. The ability to do that doesn't hurt anyone, the removal of such ability however caters only to selected few.

Comment

Bugzilla is for bug reports. It isn't a discussion forum like say Phoronix.
                  Ironically, Bugzilla is the only way users can communicate with GNOME developers isnt it?

What prevents you from using some other desktop environment you prefer including say MATE?
                  You realize that telling to a user of DE "you were using this? too bad, you can go use some other DE now" is the point of no return?

Comment

And seriously, I don't want to push my preferences on others, you can deface apps the way you want and make it default. Its the other way around: you can't dislike the ability to rename terminal tabs can you? Or set picture in background. The ability to do that doesn't hurt anyone, the removal of such ability however caters only to selected few.
                    Actually no. That is not true. Code, especially preferences always has a maintenance overhead for developers and has a cognitive overhead for users. While you might argue for a particular set of tweaks you prefer, there are tradeoffs involved in every option you expose. Striking the right balance is far from trivial. There are enormous amount of research done on this very subject throughout the world.

Comment

Ironically, Bugzilla is the only way users can communicate with GNOME developers isnt it?
                      Nope. There are mailing lists and IRC pretty much like any major open source project.

You realize that telling to a user of DE "you were using this? too bad, you can go use some other DE now" is the point of no return?
                      I am afraid, you are well past that point anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X