Nouveau: NVIDIA's New Hardware Is "VERY Open-Source Unfriendly"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nouveau: NVIDIA's New Hardware Is "VERY Open-Source Unfriendly"
    Is that some kind of news, it was unfriendly all the time - just reing community like it likely because they like reinging it ... 15 years ago, 10 years when nouveau started, now and will be tomorrow

He, he, even 15 years ago ATi gives specs under NDA to mesa devs... only that is more then nVidia does at any time "Very" is nothing - this is eXtreametm open-source unfriendliness
    Last edited by dungeon; 15 April 2015, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
      Because people stuff them with money. If people bought AMD and ignored nvidia, AMD had money for developing good drivers and nvidia didn't.
      Rofl mao, besides Nvidia's own decision regarding how are they supporting linux for their own products....i would kindly want to remind you that ATI / AMD lowered the Linux support staff to a minimum (check past articles on Phoronix). So seriously, don't expect much from the ATI guys...just try getting along with the NOUVEAU drivers if you're not expecting much (as in..gaming). Else have fun with the blobs, they are working perfectly (on my gaming gear at least)

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
        Pick your poison... great drivers with open-source unfriendly hardware or the exact opposite with AMD.

AMD graphics drivers are barely acceptable and still are subpar for OpenGL, even on Windows, since Fglrx and AMD Windows Catalyst drivers are about the same for OpenGL performance.

Also how many Nvidia driver releases has there been since even a single stable release from AMD? I'm still waiting for an official 15.3 driver.
        Not to mention that the ATI drivers are a crappy work even in the blob format, including those released for Windoze. Had the experience, regretted it, got back on Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by araxth View Post
          Not to mention that the ATI drivers are a crappy work even in the blob format, including those released for Windoze. Had the experience, regretted it, got back on Nvidia.
          I never had any problems with AMD/Nvidia drivers. Why always bring this up? I would say that people visiting phoronix have some IT skills and they know how to install graphic drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by araxth View Post
            I have the opposite experience. As a bonus, two nvidia cards died on me in the past five years.
            I would say that people visiting phoronix have some IT skills and they know how to install graphic drivers.
            yeah, no... Especially on topics where graphics are involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              Fucking assholes
              I hope they rot in hell
              You are this quick to anger? Over a video card driver? You have some serious mental health issues. Just buy an AMD card already, the open source drivers are great.

Comment

To AMD lovers: AMD drivers still require on proprietary firmware (no source code) to function (deliver 3D acceleration, perform power management, decode videos). This is why they don't work in deblobbed kernels.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                  Because people stuff them with money. If people bought AMD and ignored nvidia, AMD had money for developing good drivers and nvidia didn't.
                  I share your point of view, but it is also not that simple

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                  Performance is only one factor. In pretty much every other factor the Radeon driver is better than Catalyst or the Nvidia binary. It's nice to not have to deal with things like really nasty obvious tearing.
                  Performance is one of the most important, if not *the*, factors.

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  but tears like mad with proprietary drivers (among all the other inconveniences, like breaking each kernel update) and randomly locks up with Nouveau. So it was nice to look around, but I'm going right back to AMD now, thank you very much...
                  Unity bar disappearing? Im so glad I solved, you need to install DKMS

After each kernel update, after the reboot I don’t get anything on screen, therefore I switch to the console (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and reinstall the Nvidia drivers, then I reboot but I don’t get any Unity ...

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                    To AMD lovers: AMD drivers still require on proprietary firmware (no source code) to function (deliver 3D acceleration, perform power management, decode videos). This is why they don't work in deblobbed kernels.
                    And so what? My motherboards all run blobs that I can't do anything about, as do my HDDs, USB Devices, etc etc etc... The radeon drivers aren't being pushed because they're opensource, they're being pushed because they're the best overall drivers if we consider factors other than just pure performance such as tearing.

Comment

Originally posted by elect View Post
                      Performance is one of the most important, if not *the*, factors.
                      Hah, on Windows maybe. Linux is only just beginning to get games where performance is a serious concern. Non-performance related factors on Linux are much more evident and less overlookable as a result.

Comment

Working...
                      X