Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDBUS To Be Included In The Linux 4.1 Kernel

Phoronix: KDBUS To Be Included In The Linux 4.1 Kernel

After being in development for years, KDBUS has been called for integration into the Linux 4.1 kernel by Greg Kroah-Hartman...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Judging by the replies some people are apparently trying to not get it merged.

Comment

Any particular reason not to want it merged? It sounds pretty nice.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
        Any particular reason not to want it merged? It sounds pretty nice.

Comment

(k)d-bus looks quite similar to Enterprise Java Beans (and JMS). I even wonder if (k)d-bus could be used to implement component/microservices based application. Like Java EE with Linux in place of application server, system services instead of EJBs, systemd for service management, services might packaged into containers instead of modules.

Comment

Well, they are the same replies, from the same people, with the same counter replies from the same people part of the kdbus camp.
            It appears evident that nobody is available to move away from his position, so what will happen now?
            I'm not aware of the kernel policy in terms of code inclusion: is it enough to have a couple of NAKs to refuse a pull request or what?
            Who is the "area" maintainer that will have the last word about the PR?

Comment

Versus?

KDBUS vs JSON vs BSON vs Thrift vs ProtocolBuffers?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                KDBUS vs JSON vs BSON vs Thrift vs ProtocolBuffers?
                I'm not sure why you included JSON and BSON in there-- unless there's something about them that I don't know, so it really comes down to KDBUS vs Thrift vs ProtocolBuffers.

Thrift would probably be out because its written in C++, and we all know how Linus feels about that.

ProtocolBuffers looks like it outputs C++, Java, or Python... which means the kernel would have to support those languages, wouldn't it?

KDBUS is the only one left standing.

The only real competition to KDBUS is Binder, from Android, and that was trashed for various reasons which are described here: http://kroah.com/log/blog/2014/01/15/kdbus-details/
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

There are well thought out valid criticisms, and I'd hope they get addressed. I'm not sure the dbus guys understand that once this is merged all its flaws are locked in place.

But I also understand that a lot of these unintuitive or complex problems are due to it being a legitimate port of dbus - that you do not need to rewrite your dbus libs and apis to take advantage of kdbus (at least I don't think so, you didn't need to when I was reading about it a year ago). Fixing the problems in those posts basically necessitates forking more from userspace dbus.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    I'm not sure why you included JSON and BSON in there-- unless there's something about them that I don't know, so it really comes down to KDBUS vs Thrift vs ProtocolBuffers.
                    ProtocolBuffers looks like it outputs C++, Java, or Python... which means the kernel would have to support those languages, wouldn't it?
                    Aren't ProtocolBuffers just a serialization format - which would make it more much more closer to JSON and BSON than KDBus? AFAIK there is no IPC functionality in ProtocolBuffers, just serialization, which is also designed to be more for general purpose rather than a specific (IPC) purpose.

Comment

Working...
                    X