Systemd Adds Reboot To EFI Firmware Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by directhex View Post
    I am DYING to get off BIOS and onto UEFI when I upgrade my PC.
    funny,
    i got probably the last generation that has BIOS and looking at a friends UEFI i say f no (so buggy, no benefit)

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
      funny,
      i got probably the last generation that has BIOS and looking at a friends UEFI i say f no (so buggy, no benefit)
      If nothing else you get to move to GPT partitioning. I don't know if its the norm but my old bios refused to boot GPT-formatted partitions, it only understood MS-DOS partition tables
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Thats wrong, you can force install grub into protective mbr. GPT does not use the first sector so it can be reused, by default 1 partiton with disk size is created as protective mbr.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Thats wrong, you can force install grub into protective mbr. GPT does not use the first sector so it can be reused, by default 1 partiton with disk size is created as protective mbr.
          I'm not saying it was -right-, just that I couldn't get it to -work.- But then again my last system was an OEM Dell made before EFI/UEFI/GPT were really a thing, so there's quite a few possibilities as to why.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

GPT is optional with EFI, a primary MBR fat32 works as well. But those details are unknown for most ppl.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              If nothing else you get to move to GPT partitioning. I don't know if its the norm but my old bios refused to boot GPT-formatted partitions, it only understood MS-DOS partition tables
              I have an old HP server from the XP days that can accept GPT partitioning on BIOS. Interesting. Initially used it for Citrix XenServer, then eventually turned it into a Fedora / Windows box and gave it away.

Comment

The one and only problem is BIOS access for HD bigger than 2 TB. You could use a boot partition in the first 2 TB, but can be tricky, i would use that only with EFI.

Comment

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
                  You don't want to mix Windows with Linux in dual-boot on UEFI systems. Whenever you boot to Windows via UEFI, it re-registers itself as the default boot option. You then need to go into the UEFI configuration menu before you're able to boot back to Linux. On my particular system that I've tried it on, more than 50% of the time the UEFI lost the GRUB option in the process of Windows re-registering itself, requiring a recovery boot to reinstall GRUB.
                  Definitely a bug, a well-behaved system won't do that. Some systems are hardcoded to boot the windows loader by filename, and the workaround is to overwrite the windows loader in EFI. On my ASUS UX31 I didn't bother with grub, instead using EFI stub and efibootmgr to boot directly from UEFI to my kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by WorBlux View Post
                    Definitely a bug, a well-behaved system won't do that. Some systems are hardcoded to boot the windows loader by filename, and the workaround is to overwrite the windows loader in EFI. On my ASUS UX31 I didn't bother with grub, instead using EFI stub and efibootmgr to boot directly from UEFI to my kernel.
                    Are you suggesting Windows is a well-behaving system?

Comment

Working...
                    X