fglrx sucks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Extreme Coder View Post
    Hmm.. Sounds good, I'm OK with 60-70% performance right now, hopefully it will improve.
    If anybody can confirm it working with Wine, I will have a go at installing it
    OK, I've just installed Wine (1.1.0) and tried to run "Soft Shadows Benchmark 1.5.4". It won't run. Error: "Your hardware does not support OpenGL 2.0".

Notepad.exe runs fine

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      and it doesn't seem possible to enable either vsync nor anisotropic filtering or anti-aliasing.

Kernel 2.6.26 (no way around it)
      I didn't try when I had my rv530 in, but vsync and aniso may be possible with driconf.

You don't need kernel 2.6.26, you just need to build the drm modules from git against your configured kernel tree and copy them (drm.ko,radeon.ko) over to /lib/modules/2.6.X/kernel/drivers/char/drm/

I don't know exactly what you have to install/do to get enough of a kernel tree in place for a distro as I had a full kernel tree already - LFS.

Didn't try wine, etqw didn't work as it needs a higher OpenGL version.

Other games were OK for me, plenty of fps on an X1600pro - tested nexuiz,et and several other ioquake3 based games.

Comment

Originally posted by legume View Post
        I didn't try when I had my rv530 in, but vsync and aniso may be possible with driconf.

You don't need kernel 2.6.26, you just need to build the drm modules from git against your configured kernel tree and copy them (drm.ko,radeon.ko) over to /lib/modules/2.6.X/kernel/drivers/char/drm/

I don't know exactly what you have to install/do to get enough of a kernel tree in place for a distro as I had a full kernel tree already - LFS.
        Thanks for the tip. I went back to 2.6.25 and installed the x11-drm package from Git. Everything went automatic (Gentoo rox )

vsync works now with OpenGL applications. But not with Compiz. I guess that's another issue entirely (AIGLX). Why on earth didn't the world go towards XGL, everything was working perfectly there :P I hope Linux folks will one day have a system where everything actually works. Before I die, that is.
        Last edited by RealNC; 28 July 2008, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X