No announcement yet.

Splashtop on USB stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can start that within Win and use Grub4Dos or Grub2 for starting the ce_bz fake kernel. Basically it would be possible to create a IMG - thats nothing special just that all files are in / in a FAT16 partition named DVMUSB in a 255 MB hd image - the Win installer splits em into ASUS.SYS and ASUS.000.

Comment

NTFS success

Thank you for the addition of the HD installation tips, Kano. I had no luck installing on a FAT32 HD partition. I'll try it again some time, but it seemed the machine froze on the Express Gate splash screen. I never understood how GRUB was intended to be invoked anyway, isn't the BIOS part of Express Gate responsible for loading the kernel? Instead, I reformatted the partition to NTFS and stripped out the GRUB code from your script, as you suggested. That worked perfectly. It's weird though, that it takes much longer for SplashTop to load when I run it from the HD than it did when I ran it from a USB stick. I wonder why.

Comment

Well grub was installed into partition, all you need to do was to make that partition active or use chainloader on it. In your case you don't need grub, but for the poor others without ce in the bios

Comment

Kano & like pro please help newbie.

Kano and other pro please help.

I had Sata disk installed onto SATA slot 0 of this MB(PRO version), then installed windowsXP and followed the supplied disk to intall all driver and utilities; including Express Gate. But every time i reboot i'd get the message "EG not install or incomplete..." my BIOS was left at default and i can boot into XP ok. The bIOS had SATA as IDE. My HD was formated as NTFS.

I tried uninstall EG and reinstall into C a few times.. tried repair option too but everytimes it said the same message "not install or incomplete.."

I then tried it on my USB stick (which previously had BARTPE working). Then EG boot to the menu.. but every time i pick an app it would freeze at the splahtop logo and i had to Ctrl.Alt.Del to restart.....

I am starting to hate this MB... can you offer any solution or method I need to try?

I had the latest Bios installed.. version 1012 I think.
          Thanks.

Comment

Hi
            I have a eeepc 701 4g, with win xp on ssd so i used the win installer to usb flash drive. when i start it with syslinux or grub it goes straight to a flashing screen, and it will just stay there blinking... unless I press the left mouse button fast at boot it stops and says you have entered an invaled mode, press enter for list of video modes or (scan) or hit spacebar to continue... and if i hit spacebar or choose one of the video modes it just the same thing it boots the kernel and loads straight to the splashtop desktop, and photo manager and file manager autostart every time. it dose not have the continue to os button and if you hit the power off button, power off dose nothing but grey the screen . but the restart reboots the eee, and everthing works great has wireless + fn keys.

Is there any kind of boot option to pass that might help me get a clean boot and get rid of the flashing

Is there anyway that you could help with adding the new sqx apps ive tryed a few pkgs but kernel stops with scaning ---.sqx (######). anyways could you post the sqx's online to download. or a good how to make the rxvt package that works

I think that splashtop is very cool and fast but would love to learn how to add pkgs but dont understand what all to put in the sqx tar.gz/.pup/.lzm or do I have to have lots of files folders /bin/lib/usr/share....ect. help

Comment

What about a Wiki for Splashtop Hacks ?

Hello.
              I've tried to install Splashtop on a USB stick, but it was difficult to follow the instructions over this large post.
              Maybe it would be a nice idea to create a wiki for all things related to Splashtop Hacks, wouldn't it ?

By the way, great job you did guys, and many thanks for this post!
              Last edited by FraG; 22 August 2008, 07:01 AM.

Comment

@FraG

All you need to know is in the FIRST post.

@badbrad420

Use my script to install onto USB - the official installer is not for USB devices - only hd.

Comment

thx

ok i will give it a try but it all works, but the boot is scetchy, if i dont press left mouse button at boot of ce_bz it just flashes forever but when it works it gose straight to the kernel and to splashtop desktop. and it all works but power button,bios,os. but i will make one with your script just to try also thx for the quick reply

also put the same usb in accer 5100 and it went to boot-splashtop-screen but would not boot into splashtop-desktop when i click on browser it gose to black-screen-death

i wil try your way thx

Comment

Wondering if there is a .img file available for usb flash drives one can download somewhere?

Comment

Can you please tell me a simple and straightforward way to install this on my pendrive without erazing already existing data ? Currently, its in FAT32 and 2GB in size.

Comment

Working...
                      X