Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning A Basement Into A Big Linux Server Room

Phoronix: Turning A Basement Into A Big [Linux] Server Room

This week I posted about my new server room, where there's Linux benchmarks constantly happening on the Linux kernel and other open-source code via the Phoronix Test Suite and Phoromatic. With many Phoronix readers having been interested in the basement makeover I did to turn a ugly, boring basement into a clean server room, here's more details and pictures on the month-long renovation along with various tips and product recommendations from the experience. This server room is now almost up to 50 systems and is complete with a drink bar and projector. There's plenty of pictures and details for those hoping to build their own personal basement server room, including a few tips for increasing the wife acceptance factor of the big project.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Really wish I had the money to do that, nevermind servers, two computers was all I could ever afford to own; and I have to buy these years apart.

Comment

You seem to like noise?

Comment

Originally posted by pheldens View Post
        You seem to like noise?
        Used to it? It's actually not that bad.... will record a video sometime.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'm actually kind of grateful Michael posted this. Not because of the content itself, but because everytime Michael posted a picture of the server setup I thought it was their kitchen and I just thought "God, my girlfriend would kill me if I did that to our apartment's kitchen..."
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            I'm actually kind of grateful Michael posted this. Not because of the content itself, but because everytime Michael posted a picture of the server setup I thought it was their kitchen and I just thought "God, my girlfriend would kill me if I did that to our apartment's kitchen..."
            I had exactly the same thought!

I also have concerns about the noise level in there. Seems like it would be unacceptable to me, but then again I am picky about such things.

Comment

acoustic foam should/could help plenty with noise

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
                acoustic foam should/could help plenty with noise
                For what? There is no noise throughout the rest of the house, thanks to the stone wool insulation. In terms of the noise of the systems, as said, it's quite bearable.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  For what? There is no noise throughout the rest of the house, thanks to the stone wool insulation. In terms of the noise of the systems, as said, it's quite bearable.
                  was just saying (i like audio topics)
                  fans give out high frequency sound so it shouldn't go much out of the room, but they do bounce of hard materials
                  i guess you wouldn't spend much time in the room anyway, so ye it doesn't matter

Comment

Congrats!) Dream Room)

Comment

Working...
                    X