ati radeon 4850 on BSD + Solaris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ati radeon 4850 on BSD + Solaris

I read the review of the 4850 under Linux.
    What is the performance like on BSD + Solaris ?

Not existant? There are no binary-drivers for BSD/Solaris, and radeon (which afaik has been ported to FreeBSD) doesn't support any acceleration yet on r600 and younger GPUs.
    And even if it would, I have no idea how this would work (afaik there are no DRI-Modules for BSD?).

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
      Not existant? There are no binary-drivers for BSD/Solaris, and radeon (which afaik has been ported to FreeBSD) doesn't support any acceleration yet on r600 and younger GPUs.
      And even if it would, I have no idea how this would work (afaik there are no DRI-Modules for BSD?).
      Actually, FreeBSD does support DRI. So, theoretically, once the open source drivers mature enough to support acceleration on r600 and higher GPUs, these drivers will hopefully work on FreeBSD with a little bit of porting.

Adam

Comment

I think both of the open drivers run on 48xx today with shadowfb "acceleration", which isn't bad for most 2d work. Don't know if anyone has tried 48xx on BSD or Solaris with them, but the drivers themselves work on both OSes.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          I think both of the open drivers run on 48xx today with shadowfb "acceleration", which isn't bad for most 2d work. Don't know if anyone has tried 48xx on BSD or Solaris with them, but the drivers themselves work on both OSes.
          I should have been more specific.
          I will do my gaming in Windows,
          but I want to try DesktopBSD, PCBSD
          and OpenSolaris and many Linux Distros
          on my new PC. I do not want to use integrated graphics.
          For now 2D on these will be fine.
          Would I be better off with an Nvidea video card ?
          Better drivers ?

Comment

Originally posted by spkert View Post
            i read the review of the 4850 under linux.
            What is the performance like on bsd + solaris ?
            <?(((((<(

Comment

I have a 4850 (also have 2x2GB dual channel ram modules) and I wasn't able to do much. I was tring it out through a Virtual Box install of BSD. Xorg -configure Crashed to a black screen every time; and configured to VESA; running '# Xorg -config /root/xorg.conf.new' would infact load & startx would load twm - though using only the VESA; radeon crashed saying no detectable device. but I have no mouse :S lol. KDM on the other hand would not boot at all. whats weird about the mouse is its a Logitech wireless keyboard mouse combo with the receiver being a usb and green mouse serial connection.. which is plugged into the keyboard port as my board only has the keyboard port.. mouse and keyboard work fine in windows.. but in BSD only the keyboard would work.. any ideas about the mouse :P probably should ask in the BSD forum :P And I've tried many configurations for the mouse to try and get it working..

but Im going to try kubuntu in Virtual Box see how that works out for me..
              Last edited by Lego; 26 March 2009, 01:59 PM.

Comment

VirtualBox creates its own virtualized GPU. To the guest operating system, you are *not* using a Radeon video card.

Comment

ah, so it won't matter what OS I use in the Virtual Box?

Comment

Correct. None of them will see your GPU has a radeon.

Adam

Comment

Working...
                    X