No announcement yet.

ati radeon 4850 on BSD + Solaris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmm.. well that kills that Idea.. I wanted to see how different Ubuntu and BSD are... because I really just want to get my server running properly again.. and have some fun with compiz,gimp,etc.. The only problem with BSD is I want OpenPanel and its ported to Ubuntu but not BSD

But the other thread talking about the ubuntu driver for 4850s; would it support 2400HD better then the radeon and should i try that or will it not work on bsd? http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16059 , instead of the ati driver? because I have also noticed that twice i have upgraded my xorg to 7.4 and it refuses to upgrade my xorg-drivers to 7.4 and all the xf86-video drivers fail everytime and then compiz and kde crap out on me.. Like it will skip them on a portupgrad xorg, and if i force them xorg total stops working..
    Last edited by Lego; 26 March 2009, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spkert View Post
      I should have been more specific.
      I will do my gaming in Windows,
      but I want to try DesktopBSD, PCBSD
      and OpenSolaris and many Linux Distros
      on my new PC. I do not want to use integrated graphics.
      For now 2D on these will be fine.
      Would I be better off with an Nvidea video card ?
      Better drivers ?
      You're in luck! I just checked the nVidia driver download page and it had options for BOTH Solaris and *BSD driver downloads. I don't know how good they are, and I suspect that they don't get updated as often as the Windows/Solaris drivers do.

nVidia is just really good about drivers... unless you're an OSS fascist...

Comment

Working...
      X