GNOME 3.16 Released: It's Their Best Release Yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    This MultiWriter tool is pretty useless for most people, since nobody will ever use it.
    It is only useful for factories.

These new huge icons in Nautilus really sucks, the icons are way too big.

What is this weird design decision to place two unrelated things; calendar and notifications in the same window?

I am mostly looking forward to the Wayland improvements.
    it is useless, but it comes handy when any company wants to distribute some material (promo or anything) on usb keys

4K?

notifications just belong there, if there is one thing i want to know is when something happened when i was away. Date & Time seems really most obvious place

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      I wonder if it might be possible to switch the icons when using smaller resolutions? It is kind of annoying at 1080p. They're giant sized.
      The icon dock is only set to be visible on the Activities screen. So it doesn't impact normal usage. There's no way this is going to RHEL 7... so that's disappointing. I'll be stuck using an older Gnome 3 at work for many months.

Comment

Best Release Yet?

It could be the "Best Release EVER".
        But not YET!
        You don't really love the grammar, Mike. Do you? ;-P
        Last edited by Uqbar; 25 March 2015, 02:32 PM. Reason: Typpo

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          What is this weird design decision to place two unrelated things; calendar and notifications in the same window?
          This is basically a timeline. Things that happened in the past (notifications) and that will happen in the future (calendar). Makes perfect sense to me.

Comment

I actually prefer the large icons, but for those complaining: Have you tried adjusting the zoom level?

I've been running F22 on my Thinkpad W520 for a few days, and it works fairly well. Unfortunately my experiences with Wayland are not as positive yet (it is laggy and unreliable). Even using the wayland login with X session causes issues for me (This is using whatever Intel GPU is on-package on the i7 in the laptop).

Optimus still doesn't work out of the box. It will detect and init the second display, but only draw garbage to it. The first display gets progressively flickerier and garbagier as time goes on, but goes back to normal as soon as I unplug the second monitor. Powerdown state for the GPU works correctly. These might be F22 issues, rather than X or Wayland, though.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisIrwin View Post
              I actually prefer the large icons, but for those complaining: Have you tried adjusting the zoom level?

I've been running F22 on my Thinkpad W520 for a few days, and it works fairly well. Unfortunately my experiences with Wayland are not as positive yet (it is laggy and unreliable). Even using the wayland login with X session causes issues for me (This is using whatever Intel GPU is on-package on the i7 in the laptop).

Optimus still doesn't work out of the box. It will detect and init the second display, but only draw garbage to it. The first display gets progressively flickerier and garbagier as time goes on, but goes back to normal as soon as I unplug the second monitor. Powerdown state for the GPU works correctly. These might be F22 issues, rather than X or Wayland, though.
              Thanks, that did the trick. setting the zoom level makes it better.

Comment

bug & RHEL

For me with the prerelease on Fedora 22 the zoom level doesnt seem to stick (or work with desktop icons).

This might change when I have updated to final packages.

For RHEL googling around suggests that there is a goal to update the desktop to 3.14 for RHEL 7.2 - but from the bug reports it seems that the target was 3.12 before the release of 3.14.

I

Comment

how to change between two started applications only with mouse?

. .
                  . .
                  . .
                  ?>
                  hehehe useless gnome )

Comment

With 3.14 the way I do it is to start each application in it's own workspace. When I want to switch, move the mouse to the hot spot in the upper left of the display then select the desired workspace. Click to bring it up.

Easy peasy. Three mouse clicks.
                    Last edited by rbmorse; 25 March 2015, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisIrwin View Post
                      I've been running F22 on my Dell m3800 for a bit and I thought Wayland was working pretty well. It was very smooth for me and used less CPU when doing things like dragging and resizing windows.

Wayland did have quite a few apparent bugs with 4K support, with some actions using scaling and some not. It seems that one of the recent updates did something to fix that in last week and it got better.

This laptop is also using an Intel integrated as the primary GPU with an Nvidia Quadro riding along, mostly unused. The nouveau drivers in F22 do make it go and the default configuration seems correct so that setting DRI_PRIME=1 runs it on the Nvidia and displays it by copying the display buffers through the Intel.

Kind of strange that we'd have such different experiences. I wonder if your Intel is using different power-save settings of some kind.

Comment

Working...
                      X