AMD FreeSync Support On Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    I agree with wikipedia definition, if you read it completely "unable to use another vendor without substantial switching costs". That goes in whole, not partialy .
    So if you read it incorrectly, then?

Exactly - your definition is wrong, the standard one is right.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      So if you read it incorrectly, then?

Exactly - your definition is wrong, the standard one is right.
      Well then i am right too, because i don't see a difference between mine and standard one

Comment

Well then i am right too, because i don't see a difference between mine and standard one
        Yes, that's very clear. Doesn't change the fact that there is a big one.

Comment

Freesync (adaptive-sync) : you can switch from AMD to Intel, only with the standard cost of any GPU switch THIS IS NOT A "SUBSTANTIAL SWITCHING COST"!

G-Sync: you can only switch by both the cost of a GPU and a monitor. THIS would be a "substantial switching cost"

See the difference?

Comment

Only that i am not aware of any Intel's driver supports FreeSync yet so no DP1.2a Is there one? Currently Intel does not have it, AMD suports it and nVidia something another.

If nVidia said that they won't do it, why should i believe Intel will do it? They may come with their own trendy lockin solution
            Last edited by dungeon; 25 March 2015, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Only that i am not aware of any Intel's driver supports FreeSync yet so no DP1.2a Is there one? Currently Intel does not have it, AMD suports it and nVidia something another.

If nVidia said that they won't do it, why should i believe Intel will do it? They may come with their own trendy lockin solution
              This entire discussion was predicated on the assumption that Intel would support it. If they don't, then your view definitely has more validity to it.

I'm glad to see you've finally come around to seeing that.

Comment

Well i guess assumpation is because intel doing nice job on linux , but i don't believe companies by default anything until i see that.

Intel looks fine when they hold PC 95% CPU market and 70% GPU or somethin' But i also remember times what Intel can be when they start to loose some market percentage, lot of love for AMD was there

The European Court of Justice has thrown out Intel's appeal against a €1.06 billion fine for abusing its dominance of the chip market.
                Last edited by dungeon; 26 March 2015, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Doesn't FreeSync have a ghosting problem? Also push more into the driver than G-Sync with monitor modules?

Comment

Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
                    Doesn't FreeSync have a ghosting problem?
                    No, it is probably panel diff or some marketing setup there

Also push more into the driver than G-Sync with monitor modules?
                    You can ask nVidia and AMD that, those two are proven to like to talk about their blob code publicly and with nice code examples candies good for average people Both tech are driver driven, so .

Sorry for being sarcastic, but that is all marketing

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                      Shouldn't matter on the desktop. You should be capped at your monitors refresh rate anyway. If you constantly pump out say 60 FPS on a 60 Hz monitor and use VSync there is no benefit to G Sync.
                      VSync causes unpredictable response latency because timings become unpredictable in a multitasking environment like a PC operating system and, if the frame is completed even a nanosecond too late, it has to wait a whole extra frame to get to the screen.

The whole point of *sync technologies is to get rid of that last vestige of analog VGA scan-out (the fixed refresh rate, needed to prevent phosphors from fading in dumb old CRTs. It's basically to screens as MFM/RLL is to hard drives.)
                      Last edited by ssokolow; 26 March 2015, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X