AMD FreeSync Support On Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    You seem to have a very strange definition of vendor lockin, if it includes situations where you can choose between multiple vendors (AMD and Intel) and the 3rd major one is simply willfully choosing to ignore it even though they could use it for free.

I don't think that's what most people would call it.
    Can we use first sentence from wikipedia as vendor-lockin definition?

In economics, vendor lock-in, also known as proprietary lock-in or customer lock-in, makes a customer dependent on a vendor for products and services, unable to use another vendor without substantial switching costs.

Let say you like sync and have GSync monitor and you have nVidia card, but you want to switch to AMD card... no, card is not enough to switch, you also need to buy new monitor (now FreeSync one) too
    Last edited by dungeon; 25 March 2015, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Let say you like sync and have GSync monitor and you have nVidia card, but you want to switch to AMD card... no, card is not enough to switch, you also need to buy new monitor (now FreeSync one) too
      And yeah opposite is also true, so both situations are vendor lockin .

Comment

And on the final third hand (yes that is the hand )
        I believe the term you're looking for is "on the gripping hand" (from Mote in God's Eye).
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon
          Yes, we all can agree that is vendor lockin, because you can't switch to anyone else other than nvidia.

And yeah opposite is also true, so both situations are vendor lockin .
          No, the opposite isn't true, because you can easily switch to another vendor - intel.

You can't switch to any vendor you want - i guess that's your point?

In that case, I could claim Apache is vendor lockin, because it only runs on linux, bsds, and windows, and not my random Haiku OS, or whatever other strange alt-OS I want to pick.

Would you agree with that? If so, do you see how the term loses all meaning and distinction, making it pretty pointless to even use?
          Last edited by smitty3268; 25 March 2015, 07:51 PM.

Comment

dungeon, are you not a native english speaker?

I think you are having translation issues with that wikipedia page.

In economics, vendor lock-in, also known as proprietary lock-in or customer lock-in, makes a customer dependent on a vendor for products and services, unable to use another vendor without substantial switching costs.

That's clearly saying you are locked into a single vendor, and unable to switch to anything else at all. It doesn't say you have to be able to switch to any vendor you want - just a single other option is enough to stop it from being lockin.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              I believe the term you're looking for is "on the gripping hand" (from Mote in God's Eye).
              I thought of "on the Purgatorio's hand", from Divine Comedy actually

No, the opposite isn't true, because you can easily switch to another vendor - intel.
              Yeah, existence of third vendor seems to be just to excuse and to justify vendor lockin is not there . It is still there .

Comment

Yeah, existence of third vendor seems to be just to excuse and to justify vendor lockin is not there . It is still there .
                As long as you also claim that GCC forces vendor lockin by not supporting every possible hardware architecture... Ok.

Comment

If so, do you see how the term loses all meaning and distinction, making it pretty pointless to even use?
                  Well, if you don't like 'vendor lock-in' term - we should not use it then i guess

Can we focus on "GSync" vs "FreeSync" in Purgatorio's hands then
                  Last edited by dungeon; 25 March 2015, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Well, if you don't like 'vendor lock-in' term - we should not use it then i guess
                    I'm fine with the standard definition of the term, just not yours.

Comment

I'm fine with the standard definition of the term, just not yours.
                      I agree with wikipedia definition, if you read it completely "unable to use another vendor without substantial switching costs". That goes in whole, not partialy .

Can you switch GPU vendors now, if you have only one (G-Sync or FreeSync) monitor? You can, but feature in question is not there.

Comment

Working...
                      X