AMD Is Hiring Two More Open-Source Linux GPU Driver Developers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by artivision View Post
    I propose to AMD to be active developer of Galium Nine and do some deal with a known company to release "Ten". Also get done with some thinks like crossfire. Example question: One of my laptops has an A6-6310 and an R5-m230, can i use both GPUs in asymmetric crossfire with Gallium or even with Catalyst?
    Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. It would be nice if it did. Most of the work needed for OSS crossfire is already done. Somebody just has to do the hard work to implement it. It's just that OpenGL bring up is more important.

Besides in the coming years Crossfire will be a thing of the past.

Comment

Show Mesa progress for the OpenGL, OpenGL ES, Vulkan and OpenCL drivers implementations into an easy to read HTML page.

When you compare the nvc0 driver for Nvidia graphics card, it is in better shape than the AMD drivers, despite AMD having paid developers and releases documentation.
      While the Nvidia open source driver is developed solely by the community without any support from Nvidia and without any documentation.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. It would be nice if it did. Most of the work needed for OSS crossfire is already done. Somebody just has to do the hard work to implement it. It's just that OpenGL bring up is more important.

Besides in the coming years Crossfire will be a thing of the past.

I understand that you say but i speak for now not the future. AMD loses sales on open source camp because:

1) If i don't have D3D on Linux, i will buy the small GPU for casual gaming and not the big one, wile i do a compromise (i can't play on Linux).

2) No crossfire, i will not buy two GPUs, that includes laptops with AMD CPUs.

3) No fast support for new architecture like GNC1.2, i will not buy the new GPU and since i can't there is not a reason for a new one (well i will by a used one).

Those are the problems for spring and summer 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          http://mesamatrix.net/

When you compare the nvc0 driver for Nvidia graphics card, it is in better shape than the AMD drivers, despite AMD having paid developers and releases documentation.
          While the Nvidia open source driver is developed solely by the community without any support from Nvidia and without any documentation.
          What good are newer extensions if you can't even fully utilize your cards because they're constantly left underclocked by the system?

Comment

Yay! I'm still patiently waiting for AMDGPU to come through

Comment

I understand that you say but i speak for now not the future. AMD loses sales on open source camp because:

1) If i don't have D3D on Linux, i will buy the small GPU for casual gaming and not the big one, wile i do a compromise (i can't play on Linux).

2) No crossfire, i will not buy two GPUs, that includes laptops with AMD CPUs.

3) No fast support for new architecture like GNC1.2, i will not buy the new GPU and since i can't there is not a reason for a new one (well i will by a used one).

Those are the problems for spring and summer 2015.
              I'm not following you. D3D has nothing to do with linux. That's a MS API. Linux is a tiny minority and Crossfire users make up a tiny minority of that. A tiny minority of a tiny minority isn't going to hurt AMD much or at all. AMD is implementing a new driver strategy to support the newest cards and it's taking some time.

Your best and only hope for D3D support is Nine.
              Crossfire isn't going to happen unless you implement it.
              Support for newest cards will come when AMDs new driver strategy pans out.
              Last edited by duby229; 22 March 2015, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                I'm not following you. D3D has nothing to do with linux. That's a MS API. Linux is a tiny minority and Crossfire users make up a tiny minority of that. A tiny minority of a tiny minority isn't going to hurt AMD much or at all. AMD is implementing a new driver strategy to support the newest cards and it's taking some time.

Your best and only hope for D3D support is Nine.
                Crossfire isn't going to happen unless you implement it.
                Support for newest cards will come when AMDs new driver strategy pans out.

If Linux is a tiny minority without any power to win users and advance fast, so then let them drop free drivers to, completely. AMD today at least doesn't go with your opinion. Anything i wrote above is compatible with that they want to do.

D3D is an MS programing language that you can accept to execute with free driver code that is not MS technology. Nine is not the only hope for it, there is a Ten somewhere out there and when Mesa has complete shader model 5, then based on Ogl4 state trackers there will be an Eleven.

Asymmetric Crossfire is a must for AMD laptops, because they have inferior CPUs and GPUs vs their competitors. But they can sell APU+GPU dual, cheap vs their competitors.

Comment

If Linux is a tiny minority without any power to win users and advance fast, so then let them drop free drivers to, completely. AMD today at least doesn't go with your opinion. Anything i wrote above is compatible with that they want to do.

D3D is an MS programing language that you can accept to execute with free driver code that is not MS technology. Nine is not the only hope for it, there is a Ten somewhere out there and when Mesa has complete shader model 5, then based on Ogl4 state trackers there will be an Eleven.

Asymmetric Crossfire is a must for AMD laptops, because they have inferior CPUs and GPUs vs their competitors. But they can sell APU+GPU dual, cheap vs their competitors.
                  Honestly, I really hope your vision never comes true.

Nine will never work with proprietary drivers. The DX10 state tracker is dead in the water. And AMD products aren't as bad as you make them out to be. And finally if you want crossfire support then all the hard work is mostly done, just finish it. Not that crossfire actually matters, you can already switch between GPU's.
                  Last edited by duby229; 22 March 2015, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    If mesa had complete OGL 4.5 support, I doubt they'd feel the need to hire more devs.
                    Mesa and OpenGL is not the only part of a driver. There are some other places there some love is needed. e.g. complete VA-API, crossfire, deinterlacing or in the future vulkan support.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      When you compare the nvc0 driver for Nvidia graphics card, it is in better shape than the AMD drivers,
                      ha ha, no its not. Try and use the driver some time or read the tests from phoronix.

Comment

Working...
                      X