Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Its how it is.
    Dude... I've seen Windows 7 running smooth on GMA950. With compositing, of course. So no, it is not how you say it is.

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    This world is a lot more binary than you'd think.
    Nope, you're just trying to convince yourself of that. And you're only succeeding because you ignore everything that doesn't fit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
      vaapi works well since Sandy Bridge.
      VAAPI works well even on Ironlake. I use it regularly.

Comment

• Maybe, i just don't use my i5-680 (i have got i7-880 in the board usually), but must be with fewer codecs. Could you show vainfo?

Comment

• Back to reality, OSS vs. Fglrx... That 90% argument is not valid, benchmarks don't measure how "it feels". Truth is, 40 fps on OSS drivers is much smoother than 100 fps on Fglrx. It has serious microstuttering and memory management issues. Michael's benchmarks won't show this, they don't measure frame time/interval data, only the sum.

So seeing OSS results from these games would be fine. By the way, does anyone know if those Mesa developers working on 4.x extensions happen to be Valve employees? No communication, no announcements, and everything happens in Valve Time...

Comment

• I think you mean LunarG, those mesa devs are paid by Valve and they work on the Intel Gallium/Vulkan driver.

Comment

I repair windows computers for a living. I have to deal with Intels slideshow desktop basically everyday. The only good thing about it is I can sell graphics upgrades.
              That is probably what made you loose your mind. We all should stop the discussion with you as you are totally illogical, this is a waste of time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Maybe, i just don't use my i5-680 (i have got i7-880 in the board usually), but must be with fewer codecs. Could you show vainfo?
                Can't right now, the Ironlake machine is at my family place, it's an i3-530. Off the top of my head, mpeg2 and plain h264 (no stereo or multiview) are available.

Comment

Oh trust me, I wish OpenGL support was brought up faster. If it was done years ago, I would have been on here throwing it in everybodies face years ago. As far as I'm concerned Mesas level of OpenGL is the only real critisism of AMD's driver.

Like I said, nVidia has good proprietary drivers. I'm not knocking them fo it. It's a good thing. But Catalyst sucks major ass. Anybody recommending Catalyst is almost surely really freaking stupid.

I won't recommend any nVidia products because the driver is proprietary. It's not bad, but it is proprietary. Any nVidia card being used on linux hurts linux.
                  That is funny. According to your own words, you won't recommend Nvidia because they have a proprietary (which AMD has too), you know that Catalyst sucks (and it is proprietary also, so no recommendation from you) and the OSS driver is on par with that abysmal performance, according to your own words, so it is not worth a recommendation either, since it simply can't deliver the performance it should.

So what do you actually recommend? Let's just assume that I enter your store and ask for a highend gaming card for Linux, what is your recommendation?

Comment

So how does drawing a dialog and widget elements thousands of times tell you anything about 2d peformance? Those benchmarks aren't realistic. But you may be right that I have some bias there, so I don't know...
                    So, how do you propose a proper 2D benchmark should look like? I guess Micheal is open to suggestions, if they are reasonable.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
                      That is funny. According to your own words, you won't recommend Nvidia because they have a proprietary (which AMD has too), you know that Catalyst sucks (and it is proprietary also, so no recommendation from you) and the OSS driver is on par with that abysmal performance, according to your own words, so it is not worth a recommendation either, since it simply can't deliver the performance it should.

So what do you actually recommend? Let's just assume that I enter your store and ask for a highend gaming card for Linux, what is your recommendation?
                      On windows machines I only use nvidia products. When I have the chance to sell graphics upgrades to my customers they get nvidia cards.

On linux machines I only use AMD products with OSS drivers. Whether you like it or not it really is a fact that the OSS drivers for AMD products are waaaay better.

Comment

Working...
                      X