Hacking Express gate (Asus Splashtop)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by azzinder View Post
    Few days ago I purchased a P5Q3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP @n motheboard with Express Gate SSD
    The problem is that all I can get to happen is that the main Express Gate menu comes up with the various applications.
    If I select an application (say, Web), I do get the language and time
    configuration screens for first time users, but then - nothing. The screen
    goes blank, with the backlight on. I have to do a cold reboot.

I've tried a few other suggestions with PNP and different bios settings but there seems to be no change.

Tried to unplug all usb devices except mouse and keyboard. Express Gate started ok but after setting the time zone everything goes black...

Any information or help is appreciated.
    I just purchased a P5q Pro (therefore no ssd) and I see exactly the same problem precisely as you describe it.

What graphics card are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by XXXXX View Post
      I just purchased a P5q Pro (therefore no ssd) and I see exactly the same problem precisely as you describe it.

What graphics card are you using?
      please disabled allocated memory settings from bios chipset north bridge configuration

That way my problem SOLVED!

Comment

whats the exact file in /ASUS.SYS/ in one of the .sqx you edit to get 1600x1200? this max res of 1280x1024 is driving me crazy! same with those fake stretched widescreen modes! im not familiar with linux, so i dont really know

any assistance on this matter?

P5Q Pro on ASUS Express Gate Installer V1.3.3.1 for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista.
        Last edited by apparition; 16 September 2008, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Point c)

Comment

oh thanks for the point.

for some reason, im still not getting it right. i squashed together a va-custom.sqx file which has /etc/models.d/superset/99-custom in it, and in the 99-custom file are the following lines:
            Code:
            export DI_HAVE_RES_DDC='yes'
            export DI_HAVE_RES_LIST='800x600x24x60,1024x768x24x60,1280x800x24x60,1280x1024x24x60,1366x768x24x60,1440x900x24x60,1440x1050x24x60,1600x1200x24x60,1680x1050x24x60,1920x1080x24x60,1920x1200x24x60'
            now, my expressgate/splashtop isnt even booting! what am i doing wrong?

anyone got a modded .sqx for more resolution choices?
            Last edited by apparition; 16 September 2008, 08:21 PM.

Comment

When it is not booting the squashfs used is too new. I use my own distro for that (Kanotix). Also I think thats the wrong file for you, because there is is already a:

etc/models.d/P5Q_Pro

dir, so you need to put it there, superset is the fallback, that would be used with your old board (I do not own an ASUS board currently but it really seems that modding unsupported systems is more easy).

Comment

I'm trying to use ExpressGate to listen to my itunes music server.
                My version (actual for P5Q PRO - v1.3.3.1) allows me to make use of
                <Browser> <Games> <Photo> <Chat> <Skype>
                but no Music Player as mentioned here: http://splashtop.com/splashtop_applications.php

Is this general matter, or do I have to activate the application?
                ExpressGate is installed on my HDD.

Did anyone actually start a wiki about hacking splashtop, or is there any step by step howto hack the img (and where do I get it?) out there i cant find?

Comment

Originally posted by apparition View Post
                  oh thanks for the point.

for some reason, im still not getting it right. i squashed together a va-custom.sqx file which has /etc/models.d/superset/99-custom in it, and in the 99-custom file are the following lines:
                  Code:
                  export DI_HAVE_RES_DDC='yes'
                  export DI_HAVE_RES_LIST='800x600x24x60,1024x768x24x60,1280x800x24x60,1280x1024x24x60,1366x768x24x60,1440x900x24x60,1440x1050x24x60,1600x1200x24x60,1680x1050x24x60,1920x1080x24x60,1920x1200x24x60'
                  now, my expressgate/splashtop isnt even booting! what am i doing wrong?

anyone got a modded .sqx for more resolution choices?
                  Originally posted by Kano
                  When it is not booting the squashfs used is too new. I use my own distro for that (Kanotix). Also I think thats the wrong file for you, because there is is already a:

etc/models.d/P5Q_Pro

dir, so you need to put it there, superset is the fallback, that would be used with your old board (I do not own an ASUS board currently but it really seems that modding unsupported systems is more easy).
                  I have a p5q pro (bios/express gate updated as of a couple days ago) and am having the same problem. When you modify a squashfs file it wont boot. Express gate actually starts but when you click to enter the OS (like brows web as opposed to boot os) it will freeze at the asus express gate logo screen (where X should be starting).

I think that expressgate might not be mounting the files properly. If I copy the files in tact from a sqx file and re-squash it, splashtop fails to boot, even when I've done nothing to the actual data. I have ran the dd command on version so it's not an md5 thing. `file` reveals that splashtop used squashfs version 3.0 and mine is 3.1. I don't see how this would matter but it's possible that it only works with squashfs versoin 3.0. What version of squashfs-tools are you using, Kano?
                  Last edited by Legion; 08 October 2008, 07:17 PM.

Comment

You use a too new squashfs version, downgrade it. When squashfs it too new it will not boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      You use a too new squashfs version, downgrade it. When squashfs it too new it will not boot.
                      That works great, thanks.

Btw you don't have to link gnome-terminal to xterm. bs-boxtools contains a file /etc/bbkeys/bbkeysrc and you can just change what all the hotkeys are.

Also in some of your scripts you refer to a FILE.img, including your howto for putting it on a bootable usb. What is this FILE.img?

Comment

Working...
                      X