Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi guys!

I hope anybody can help me ...

I've an Asus M3N-HT Deluxe with ExpressGate SSD ...

I've downloaded and extracted the dfi with gzip, but, how can I mount now this image? I tried with -o loop -t squashfs - but it always tells me that it's not an valid file ...

Do I need extra options?

thanks in advance!

>>>Cyber

Comment

• Look:

Comment

• oh, this post I missed, and i tought I've read this whole thread ...

thanks kano!

>>>cyber

Comment

• Here even how to create a DFI again:

Comment

• ok, i was a little bit successfull ...

I was able to unsquashfs now the image with your srcipt from post No. 2.

I built my own "modules", but as I don't know if I need to make the structure as it is like one of the other modules ... uff, it did even not boot. ):

some questions:
            -) is it absolute necessary to use squashfs-binaries from debian etch? I've got here debian lenny with squashfs-tools 1:3.3-7
            -) must i use the complete structure? i.e., for xterm, I made an dircetory named va-xterm, in it I only made a bin and usr/share directory (like I see it from /var/lib/dpkg/info/xterm.list) ... no va* files in top directory.
            -) must I use the binary sources from debian etch? I used i.e. the debian lenny pidgin, xterm and rdesktop

I read here that I only have to press "ALT+F1" for an prompt - and there I only have to type xterm, right? will all *.sqx-files get extracted on ExpressGate-Boot?

my target:
            -) an xterm to play
            -) new pidgin with working ICQ
            -) rdesktop to make an VNC-connection to my debian lenny vnc-server, where my emails are "waiting" for me in an icedove-mailclient
            -) perhaps using opera instead of firefox as browser - I like opera much more
            -) perhaps get java installed to use java-apps in browser (opera or firefox)

I appreciate helping me (:

>>>cyber

Comment

• You need basically all from etch (or Kanotix Thorhammer), because you can not convert lenny binaries. At least that was not possible with the versions i tested. Partly i have got already done the things you want about 1 year ago, thereofore i have got lots of prepared packages, but i do not intend to update em again.

Comment

• Hello Kano!

first thanks for your help here ...

sure, i could use your packages, but as soon as there is an update needed ... ): ... so I would like to get rid of this problem and so I am asking for further help.
                I am familar with linux, so I hope I need not much of your time ...

I've now setted up debian etch in an vmware.
                I used debian etch r8 with etch'n'half kernel - but I don't think this matters, does it?
                here are some versions:
                squashfs-tools -> 3.1r2-6.1
                pidgin -> 2.4.3-4lenny2~bpo40+1
                pidgin-data -> 2.4.3-4lenny2~bpo40+1
                xterm -> 222-1etch4
                rdesktop -> 1.5.0-1etch2
                gcc-3.4-base -> 3.4.6-5
                gcc-4.1-base -> 4.1.1-21
                libgcc1 -> 4.1.1-21

here are my used scripts:

extractDFI.sh
                Code:
                #! /bin/bash

dd if=$1 of=header bs=1 count=32
                dd if=$1 of=FILE.IMG bs=48 skip=1
                expandIMG.sh
                Code:
                #!/bin/sh
                IMAGE="FILE.IMG"
                offset=$(($(sfdisk -d $IMAGE|grep start=|head -n1|sed 's/.*start=\s*//;s/,.*//')*512))
                OPTIONS="umask=000,shortname=mixed,quiet,utf8"
                INPUT=/home/Splashtop/mounted-image
                FIX=/home/Splashtop/extracted
                rm -rf $FIX
                mkdir -p $INPUT $FIX
                umount $INPUT
                mount -o loop,offset=$offset,$OPIONS $IMAGE $INPUT
                cd $INPUT
                for x in *.sqx; do unsquashfs -dest $FIX/${x/.sqx} $x; done
                cat <<EOT
                You can edit now using this way:

a) Change files in the dir you want to edit.
                b) Create new package like this:

mksquashfs va-xxx va-xxx.sqx -noappend

c) Enter "exit" when done to apply changes.
                EOT
                cd $FIX
                bash
                cd $INPUT
                cp -v $FIX/*.sqx $INPUT
                dd of=$INPUT/version bs=1 seek=32 count=0
                cd ..
                umount $INPUT
                rm -rf $FIX
                rm -rf $INPUT
                makeDFI.sh
                Code:
                #!/bin/bash

openssl dgst -md5 -binary $1 >new-md5sum
                cat header new-md5sum $1 > MINE.IMG
                gzip -9 MINE.IMG
                mv MINE.IMG.gz ST_ASUSEG00_256MB_v1.3.3.1_MINE.DFI
                as I have not enough space in vm I did there only generating the squashfs-files and copied from there the binaries. I assume that dd / gzip from debian lenny does nothing wrong in comparishon to debian etch, does it?

during expandIMG.sh opened the new bash I generated the following three files with my debian etch VM:
                va-pidgin.sqx: I only replaced the existing binaries --> http://uploaded.to/file/i3v2j5
                va-rdesktop.sqx: I copied the structure from /var/lib/dpkg/info/rdesktop.list into the folder --> http://uploaded.to/file/rpxqyu
                va-xterm.sqx: I copied the structure from var/lib/dpkg/info/xterm.list into the folder --> http://uploaded.to/file/tvnidn

then i copied the generated *.sqx to the debian lenny machine and let there your scrip do the rest of the work, made a new DFI with makeDFI.sh and flashed it to the SSD.

Now it looks a little bit better: I see the bootscreen, after clicking on Web or Skype or what else I can see the "loading" screen and ... thats it, nothing else until I make a hard reset.

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

>>>cyber

Comment

• First of all begin with a tiny package that gives your a terminal. Most easy way add to a xterm package a symlink to gnome-terminal, then you can press ctrl+alt+f1. In most cases you missed too many depends (libs). For debugging should use my script to inject grub into image file, but beware that you have to delete the idx file before flashing to usb. I always used VirtualBox for debugging (with a custom made vmdk), but VMware should allow you to boot that file too. It is not usefull to boot that always on read hw. You may find out that a ce_bz is missing in new images, but search a bit in the forum how to create this file.
                  Last edited by Kano; 13 August 2009, 06:52 AM.

Comment

• Can anyone tell me, where to change resolution in tinyx ?
                    I've modified /etc/xserverrc and /etc/xserverrc.alps like that:

exec X -force -s 0 -screen 1024x600x24x60 -dpi 90 -br -zaphod -mouse /dev/psaux,5 -shadow -nolisten tcp $1 -I
                    But display of my asus n10j is still 800x600. Maybe the thing is that tinyx does not support non-standart resolution ?

Comment

• Splashtop / Asus P6T Deluxe V2

Have not learned just where to create a new post, so I will just add on here.

I noticed that you cannot print to a USB port printer (no drivers installed) or save a page or even text from a the Splashtop Browser to anything.
                      For instance, my install of Vista has lost its NTLDR and I need to rebuild it. A real blessing to have the Splashtop feature when you cannot boot the operating system, but wow, a lot of notes to take...if only I could save the text some where.

Any such features? I have read no add-ons but I also see that some members can be rather creative.

Looking for input.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X