No announcement yet.

BioShock Infinite Is The Latest Game Showing Why Linux Gamers Choose NVIDIA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD does have such a thing, they call it the R series. Not sure where you could get one or how much it would cost, but I surely won't be sponsoring you

Comment

• Originally posted by Ansla View Post
      AMD does have such a thing, they call it the R series. ...
      I know the R-Series APUs, but AMD still writes in their documentation socket AM1 and E-/A-Series APUs support ECC. But these APUs don't support ECC.
      I still have to see one with working ECC.

Comment

• @bridgman

I would not add a dedicated card in an amd system with onboard vga. That's useless in several ways - the cpu power is much lower than a similar priced Intel system. You can see differences with OC ram, but for what purpose? The games that were benchmarked usually have got a >15y old engine as base, ok, with improvements. Xonotic for example uses Darkplaces engine, thats a Quake 1 based engine, if you lower the extra effects you can run it easyly on a 10y old system. OpenArena uses a modified Quake 3 engine. Some hints: Quake 1 -> 1996 (19y old), Quake 3 -> 1999 (16y old). If you see "current" OpenGL 4 games benchmarked then you can forget every lowend card. Use it for video playback or browser games, thats what you should do with it (you can play Quake 3 as browser game, called Quake Live).

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
          I would not add a dedicated card in an amd system with onboard vga.
          The GT730 (at least the versions with 64 bit memory interface) supports 3 monitors, but as I see it mainboards with 3 video connectors are pretty rare, so it indeed can make sense to add a dedicated card just for getting support for multiple monitor setups.

Comment

• At least for the FM2+ socket, multiple connectors are not that rare. You can even get boards with 4 of them (like the ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+), but since every one is a different type it's clear they were placed there for convenience (to avoid using adaptors) rather then for connecting multiple monitors.

Comment

@bridgman

I would not add a dedicated card in an amd system with onboard vga. That's useless in several ways ...
              I am not bridgman, but want to mention the HP ProLiant MicroServer with onboard AMD GPU (RS785E = HD 4200 = RV620? 40:4:4 shaders:Te:ROP) has only one analog connector. So if you wish a digital connection to your digital monitor you are forced to insert a dedicated card.

Comment

• Usually servers are no desktops

Comment

Usually servers are no desktops
                  So in your world servers have analog (CRT) monitor connections and desktops have digital (LCD) ones?

Comment

I would not add a dedicated card in an amd system with onboard vga. That's useless in several ways - the cpu power is much lower than a similar priced Intel system.
                    You keep complaining about how slow the AMD CPUs are, lets try to see just how slow they are. According to PassMark the A10-7850K is slightly faster for single-threaded tasks than an i7 975 (yes, the most powerful of the first generation i7 Extreme Edition, most powerful CPU of its time). For multi-threaded tasks the i7 did better because of HT, but consensus is single core performance is what maters most for gaming. Also, feel free to suggest more realistic benchmarks if you know any. This is the best a quick google turned up for both.

So, lets see what graphics card a gamer back then would pair their i7 with. Most likely a Radeon HD 5970 (equivalent in raw power with a R9 290), but lets say that raw power was wasted on the internal CrossFire so I'll go with Radeon HD 5870 (equivalent in raw power to a R9 270X).

Now, can you explain to me why an Intel CPU was perfectly fine to pair with those monsters, but an AMD CPU with similar performance is just "meh, don't even bother"?

Comment

• Bug tracker is up: https://github.com/virtual-programmi...infinite-linux

Comment

Working...
                      X