No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Releases $15,000 USD Linux-Powered Developer System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would you pay 15k to get this, instead of maybe 6 or 7k to buy the components individually?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Why would you pay 15k to get this, instead of maybe 6 or 7k to buy the components individually?
      Because AI researchers are not experts on building, testing and installing the OS?

What size power supply is needed for this? How many amps on each rail? Does the motherboard have enough PCIe slots spaced the right distance apart? Is the cooling flow set up right? Does an AI guy have static protection gear so he doesn't zap a card when he pulls it out of the bag? Did he get the right amount of goo on the CPU before he screwed down the cooler? Just how tightly is he supposed to screw it down? Is he supposed to spend 30 hours hanging out on web forums trying to figure this stuff out?

When something on the system breaks does he have the money to replace each piece one by one and the patience to RMA the defective bits?

For a professional it is easily worth a few thousand to have someone else build a computer and provide a guarantee and support for it.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        yes, why not.. but some ppl buy apple computers, so there is defenitely a wealth of ppl that need things to be prebuilt, and dont mind the +100% markup.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
          Because AI researchers are not experts on building, testing and installing the OS?.
          Probably still far more expensive than just paying a guy to slap together the boxes and another one to deploy. I think the machine is more a marketing boondoggle than a serious offering.

Comment

Originally posted by nils_ View Post
            Probably still far more expensive than just paying a guy to slap together the boxes and another one to deploy. I think the machine is more a marketing boondoggle than a serious offering.
            This comes with specialty software from Nvidia preinstalled. I don't know if they will have access to that software any other way.

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post
              This comes with specialty software from Nvidia preinstalled. I don't know if they will have access to that software any other way.
              thats right, propietary software in research can be priced at insane levels too, so it might even be at at reduced price if you buy the kit. NOT that I think that is a good thing.

Comment

Working...
              X