Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.0-rc4 Kernel Is A Fairly Normal Update

Phoronix: Linux 4.0-rc4 Kernel Is A Fairly Normal Update

The fourth weekly release candidate to the Linux 4.0 kernel was just released for the newest round of Linux kernel testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Linus Torvalds announced the 3.0-rc4 kernel a few
    There is a typo, replace 3.0 with 4.0 ;-)

Have a nice day!

Comment

Sadly since kernel 3.18 (and 3.19) I receive a nice black screen when I try to start with it. I'm stuck with kernel 3.16. Probably this new one wont work either.

Comment

Distro?

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
        Sadly since kernel 3.18 (and 3.19) I receive a nice black screen when I try to start with it. I'm stuck with kernel 3.16. Probably this new one wont work either.
        I'm curious about your particular setup. I always run the latest kernel (and yes, I've suffered for that occasionally) but I'm not having any issues with a black screen. I'm on gentoo however, and building a kernel isn't a big deal to me.

I suspect you have KMS issues. You could try disabling the kernel modesetting for your video card.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
          Staying on the same kernel version forever isn't the best solution... :/
          You should check the kernel Bugzilla and report it if you can't find anything obvious. The kernel developers depend on users filing bugs since they can't test on every possible hardware that's out there. Also, bisecting it to a specific commit helps a lot.

If it started happening with 3.18, why not use 3.17 instead of 3.16?

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
            I'm curious about your particular setup. I always run the latest kernel (and yes, I've suffered for that occasionally) but I'm not having any issues with a black screen. I'm on gentoo however, and building a kernel isn't a big deal to me.

I suspect you have KMS issues. You could try disabling the kernel modesetting for your video card.
            This is my setup

Code:
            [eduardo@eduardomanjaro ~]$ inxi -c 5 -b
            System:    Host: eduardomanjaro Kernel: 3.16.7.8-1-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit)
                       Desktop: Cinnamon 2.4.6  Distro: ManjaroLinux 0.8.12 Ascella
            Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Pavilion dv5 Notebook PC v: 0589110002242B10000020100
                       Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 144E v: KBC Version 66.31
                       Bios: Hewlett-Packard v: F.26 date: 02/23/2011
            CPU:       Dual core AMD Turion II P540 (-MCP-) speed/max: 2200/2400 MHz
            Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RS880M [Mobility Radeon HD 4225/4250]
                       Display Server: X.Org 1.17.1 driver: radeon
                       Resolution: [email protected]
                       GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS880 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.5.1
            Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
                       driver: r8169
                       Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
                       driver: ath9k
            Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (83.7% used)
            Info:      Processes: 163 Uptime: 1:57 Memory: 1989.8/3701.0MB
                       Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.19

I havent filled a new bug report since I have seen similar bugs reports around the web (in bug.freedesktop.org and list.freedesktop.com), I always though this was the bug report related to my problem http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/073964.html but since he use intel hardware then Im not sure.

but I wonder why this regression hasnt been fixed yet. I will take a look about the KMS thing.

Originally posted by damg View Post
            Staying on the same kernel version forever isn't the best solution... :/
            You should check the kernel Bugzilla and report it if you can't find anything obvious. The kernel developers depend on users filing bugs since they can't test on every possible hardware that's out there. Also, bisecting it to a specific commit helps a lot.

If it started happening with 3.18, why not use 3.17 instead of 3.16?
            because kernel 3.17 is not supported anymore, 3.16 is still in the Manjaro repos (since its supported by Canonical)

Comment

Working...
            X