Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Catalyst v8.6 and 8.7

Hello guys,

I seem to get quite an interesting problem if I'm using the latest (8.7) and previous catalyst (8.6) driver for Linux.

The problem gone if I revert back to version 8.5

The problem I get is that I'm completely unable to run any gl-application.
    • If I run glxgears and fgl_glxgears I'm just presented with the window but nothing moving inside it.
    • glxinfo and fglxinfo just hangs and doesn't print out anything

Only thing is that my CPU is topped up on one core.

My dmesg and /var/log/Xorg.0.log doesn't say anything more than usual.

I'm running standard Ubuntu 8.04.1 (x86_64)

Is there anyone that have the same issue and any solution to this problem?

Is there anyone that have some hints on how I could get some more info out of my system to help diagnose the issue?

Poke me if you need any more details

-
    Harre

Originally posted by harre View Post
    Hello guys,

I seem to get quite an interesting problem if I'm using the latest (8.7) and previous catalyst (8.6) driver for Linux.

The problem gone if I revert back to version 8.5

The problem I get is that I'm completely unable to run any gl-application.
    • If I run glxgears and fgl_glxgears I'm just presented with the window but nothing moving inside it.
    • glxinfo and fglxinfo just hangs and doesn't print out anything

Only thing is that my CPU is topped up on one core.

My dmesg and /var/log/Xorg.0.log doesn't say anything more than usual.

I'm running standard Ubuntu 8.04.1 (x86_64)

Is there anyone that have the same issue and any solution to this problem?

Is there anyone that have some hints on how I could get some more info out of my system to help diagnose the issue?

Poke me if you need any more details

-
    Harre
    I have the same problem, I have reverted to 8.5. About the drivers I would'nt bother updating them any more as with each release they have more bugs and are also slower with each release.

I started off with 17000-1800 glxgears its now down to 14000-15000
    so I would wait for people here to mess around with the drivers and report back.

I find it confusing that the people who designed these chips don't know how to make them work, may be they should borrow some off intel's or nvidias staff.

Comment

Honestly we are not optimizing for glxgears. A lot of optimization work involves making important things go fast at the expense of unimportant things. If you are seeing performance slowdowns on reasonably modern apps (eg native games) please let us know.

If you are not seeing anything drawn to the screen let's try to figure out what is happening on your system. We do quite a bit of 3d testing on each release before shipping so this is probably something related to a difference between your system and our test systems.
      Test signature

Comment

You test something with 3d? Well of course no game using wine it seems...

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          If you are not seeing anything drawn to the screen let's try to figure out what is happening on your system. We do quite a bit of 3d testing on each release before shipping so this is probably something related to a difference between your system and our test systems.
          Aye, that's the issue I have, noting is rendered in my window.

Got any tips or pointers where to start looking for differences?

Forgot to mention what graphics card I have.
          I have a Radeon HD 2900xt (r600)

Comment

People don't choose an amd graphics card to become a part of the ATI test program. Some people just expect it to work, the fact is 6 months after release my hd3870 still does not work properly and by the looks of it no one elses does.

Fact driver has more bugs than ever?

fact drivers are getting slower, they are slower in nexiuz as well

Fact most people play games with cedega or wine.

Fact your drivers now don't work with wine or cedega.

who cares about fps if wines not working.

You blaim peoples system configuration here, but 8.7 says it supports hardy heron. I know people have tried a clean install with your drivers and they still dont work, most people are still using 8.5!

Comment

no stability

Also, since the Catalyst release my system (mobility x1400) slows to a halt after 6 hours of usage. Restarting the X server at that point results in a hard lock. Why doesn't ATI address stability in their driver releases?

Comment

That's simple to explain. They only work between lunch and tea time then they go home and play with nvidia cards.

Comment

Also, since the Catalyst release my system (mobility x1400) slows to a halt after 6 hours of usage. Restarting the X server at that point results in a hard lock. Why doesn't ATI address stability in their driver releases?
                  I've got the same problem with a Radeon X1550 (RV505).

Comment

well...

Originally posted by mancunian View Post
                    I've got the same problem with a Radeon X1550 (RV505).
                    I guess its somewhat comforting to know that I am not the only one, nor is the x1400 the only card that has this issue.

This was never an issue when I ran XGL on top with previous pre-catalyst drivers.

This seems like a pretty big bug if it stretches across ATI product lines. Has ATI ever responded by saying that they are aware of this issue? Looking in the release notes for the latest driver shows no indication of this being a "known issue".

Comment

Working...
                    X