Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Will Release New Catalyst Linux Driver Update This Month

Phoronix: AMD Will Release New Catalyst Linux Driver Update This Month

It looks like in the next two weeks AMD will finally be releasing an updated Catalyst/fglrx graphics driver for Linux users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Probably they'll just put a new version number on the previous one, as usual.

Comment

Three months without a release is pretty damn horrible. How many games were released within that period? How many games are missing/broken Crossfire support? How many games are broken in some other way?
      Also, OpenGL 4.5 where?

I hope the new release at least adds X.Org Server 1.17 + Linux 3.18 support for the Linux driver.

Comment

AMD pisses me off!

AMD pisses me off!
        Thanks to those jerks, all of us using Ubuntu are stuck with X.Org Server 1.16 when we could be enjoying ourselves with 1.17.
        AMD is holding back Linux innovation for everyone!

I do not even buy their products, yet I still get punished. As a Intel hardware user I am still stuck with old X.Org Server 1.1.6 even though 1.17 is out.

Comment

Same procedure like every time:
          No OpenGL 4.5 but instead they sheduled to think about to evaluate the possibility to start thinking about to implement Vulkan in about 5 years in the next AMD internal seminar which takes place in December.

Comment

Guesses:
            * No proper intel+amd ("Enduro") hybrid graphics support
            * No OpenGL 4.5 support
            * No Mantle support

For the people who don't need OpenGL 4.x support right now: Why even try to use catalyst? Even with some severe performance problems (that others don't seem to have) the experience with the open source driver on my HD 7970M is much better than with catalyst and I can use the latest x.org and kernel however I want..

Comment

Windows people only talking about FreeSync support for 19th march driver... dunno if that should be expected for Linux too

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
                * No Mantle support
                RIght guess. Nobody cares about Mantle not even AMD. It did its job by pushing d3d12 and vulkan and now its time to die. I have no clue why you should care about Mantle

Comment

Vulkan is an enhanced Mantle

Even some of the Demos on GDC ran on modified Mantle code.

Originally posted by haagch View Post
                  * No Mantle support
                  Why should they release a Linux driver with mantle support?

After the Vulkan announcements nobody should ever expect this.

Comment

I don't really need mantle support.

But after

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

it would have been nice.

Comment

Working...
                    X