Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acer P243WAid 24" LCD

Phoronix: Acer P243WAid 24" LCD

In the past we have looked at several different Acer LCDs and generally have been quite pleased with them. Acer offers LCD panels that range from cost-effective 17" models to higher-end models that are much larger and offer additional features such as a metal stand, integrated audio, and HDMI. For those that are interested in a large high-resolution screen with HDMI support and a fast response time, but that isn't too expensive, Acer has the P243WAid. The Acer P243WAid is a 24" LCD that fits these traits and sells for about $390 USD, but it lacks some extra features such as height and pivot adjustments.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Connecting multiple inputs

Although I'm not really interested in (buying) this monitor, I really like to know how it handles multiple inputs. For instance my Samsung 226BW just has a source button that allows me to switch between DVI and VGA, switching will take about one to two seconds. Can the Acer monitor switch between all three inputs? Does it switch fast?

I was also wondering about the rating. How do you justify (I don't say it's wrong) the 8 out of 10 rating? What would have gotten it a 9, what would have gotten it a 10, why is it not a 7? My personal experience is that Acer monitors aren't really special in any way. Although you seem to like the picture quality, would you give it a 10 out of 10 rating for picture quality? Would this monitor get 10 out of 10 if it has usb, speakers and a pivot/height adjusting stand? This is not really the first time I don't really understand how a product gets its phoronix rating, though for more geeky products I can see a +1 might be in place .

I hope future product reviews will see another page added with why that product is better or worse than other products, what's giving the product that certain rating, what's keeping it from getting a higher rating.
    Regards,

Michael

Comment

Did some quick research, this is a TN panel.

If you can get an MVA panel, do it. You can find deals on MVA panels in the same price ballpark.
      I have a 24" soyo MVA on my desk which I got for $290. And yes it's stil working, and yes the color and brightness are better than a TN (compared side by side with a 24" samsung).

Comment

Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
        Did some quick research, this is a TN panel.

If you can get an MVA panel, do it. You can find deals on MVA panels in the same price ballpark.
        I have a 24" soyo MVA on my desk which I got for $290. And yes it's stil working, and yes the color and brightness are better than a TN (compared side by side with a 24" samsung).
        I would have to agree. Being a CRT user for the longest time, I found using a large TN panel to be aggravating. I had the Samsung 245BW for about a week and I couldn't get used to the shift in colors when I moved left or right and portions of the screen would darken when I leaned back in my chair or lowered my head (viewing angle). I returned it to the store and a couple of months later spent a few $100 more and bought a DoubleSight 26" DS-263N which has a H-IPS panel. The difference is night and day to me. I love the IPS panel and can't say enough good things about it. It looks the same no matter where I sit. Being that I'm going to be looking at it for the next few years I could justify the difference in price. I've heard good things about the Soyo MVA as well and may get that for my wife.
        Last edited by dreamor; 24 July 2008, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X