V4 Of KDBUS Posted For The Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by interested View Post
    Several of the ABI breaks was caused by changes caused by the code review (and fully documented in the Git log AFAIK). No kernel feature is per definition stable until it is mainlined.
    So far kdbus have had an excellent peer review on LKML by Andy Lutomirski and M. Kerrisk that went through both security and documentation issues.

Interesting to watch if anybody still can turn up any issues, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are only minor issues left with kdbus v4.
    well, time between 3 and 4 is much lower than time between 2 and 3. this can only speak positive about it. but, no matter how much i want to believe that or i like/want kdbus, i want to hear "now it's ok" from kernel guys more. don't know why, but history of keeping it as stable as it is is just awesome

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
      Maybe bit premature, I've been testing kdbus from latest git tree for about a year now and it's FAR from stable. Over last 6 months there were 2 ABI breakages that made system unbootable for days (till both kdbus and systemd repository got synced).
      Once it's shipped, the kernel guarantees backwards compatibility. That's one of the reasons code review up front and getting it right from the start is so important.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        Once it's shipped, the kernel guarantees backwards compatibility. That's one of the reasons code review up front and getting it right from the start is so important.
        Well, my original comment reacted to "Ship it!" comment. I am myself inclined to believe that kdbus is a good thing, I'm just saying that it's not stable enough. And you guys are replying to me that It's not stable [yet].
        Most of recent commits consisted of documentation updates so I guess it's on good track.
        Last edited by Guest; 09 March 2015, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Well, my original comment reacted to "Ship it!" comment. I am myself inclined to believe that kdbus is a good thing, I'm just saying that it's not stable enough. And you guys are replying to me that It's not stable [yet].
          Only because it is not merged yet. If it was shipped, it would automatically retain ABI compatibility due to kernel rules. That is the point you seem to be missing

Comment

Most of recent commits consisted of documentation updates so I guess it's on good track.
            We're saying that by definition, it will never be stable until they ship it. Then it becomes stable.

So if you want to stop breaking compatibility, the path to doing that is to ship it. As long as it's not shipped, you're going to continue to see breaking API changes.

Comment

Fair enough.

Comment

gmane.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, gmane.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

It has already made into Linux-next. We should see it in linux 4.1

Comment

Originally posted by newwen View Post
                  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1908863

It has already made into Linux-next. We should see it in linux 4.1
                  Wow. Nice!

Comment

Working...
                  X