Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal 1 and other Unreal-based single player mods in UT99 -- help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal 1 and other Unreal-based single player mods in UT99 -- help!

I was very happy when back in 2002 I stumbled across the OldSchool mod that allowed me for the very first time to run Unreal 1 and Return to Napali (among other single player "campaigns") inside Unreal Tournament. However as all these years have passed and when I went into an Unreal hiatus, then I came back to it, and am greeted with the grim surprise that when I try to load a save game, UT crashes. I just want to know if this is the case for others, and if so what version do you have? If not what version do you have? IIRC there was an unofficial update to greater version than "436" (451 or sometsuch), which might be the cause of my pains, but I really don't remember.

It certainly should be possible to uninstall the program, then install from a fresh copy of the game, and upgrade incrementally. Heck, with Linux the way it is, you could cp the directories as you apply the patches, then link to the one that works!

Comment

Yes, I meant if anybody else had this problem. I'll install again and only copy over the maps/textures/sounds/etc, except for most of the system directory.

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
        Yes, I meant if anybody else had this problem. I'll install again and only copy over the maps/textures/sounds/etc, except for most of the system directory.
        I did have it running fine in opensuse 10.3 x64. IIRC I had to replace some of the binaries in the install path with the ones that were on my system. Framerates with everything maxed out were insane on a modern system.

Comment

Yeah, framerate is quite good on my system, 1280x1024 (my monitor's max native res)@75Hz 4XAA/16XAF, Hi-Res textures, VSync on... and the game runs at a steady 75 FPS on my system* (not matter what's on the screen), even when the CPU is locked at 1GHz**

* System specs:

AMD X2 5600+ AM2
          2Gb DDR2 800MHz
          Fedora 8 2.6.25.10-47 kernel
          nVidia XFX GeForce 8500 OC 512Mb GDDR2 173.09.14 drivers (from livna)
          SBLive! sound card.

** The Unreal Engine 1 has this bug that causes it to incorrectly get some thing at startup if CPU speed throttle is set to variable (as it would cause at some point for the CPU to max out at full MHz, but then run at the lowest value and causing animation problems [everything seems too fast]), only work around is to select a fixed speed for your CPU (you gotta love the CPU freq applet in GNOME )

Comment

What you have encountered is the Vortex Rikers Save Bug-It even existed in Unreal. Too bad U have lost ALL your save games-sorry -but download the latest version of Oldskool. It fixes the bug, and it will never happen again While I'm here, Recommend any good campaigns for Oldskool?

Comment

Working...
            X