X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reduced input in the latency stack?

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
      i really hope my future will diverge from yours. yours is going into place where 3/4 of computer is taken over by ram
      Unused RAM is wasted RAM

(partially joking of course)

Comment

I honestly suspect things that have been done for past few years will keep happening: HTML(5)+CSS for defining presentation, native code for application logic so heavy routines can be implemented in efficient fashion and JS for binding presentation and application logic together

Comment

HTML5 as a base for apps? it's a "no" for me.
          Java, Python, Ruby, C# - it's a "no" for me again.

I do nto want any heavy browser engines, any scripts, any garbage collectors on computers and mobile devices as a base for apps. That's primarily why Windows Phone, Android or FirefoxOS suck - they use havy stacks for developers, because they are simply too lazy to learn C++, Swift or something "closer" to the metal.

And believe me - modern C++ is a modern, high-level, partially declarative language. You just need to learn something beyond classes and pointers.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepec9124
            Why not fork Weston ? It's light as hell, eats almost no CPU. Loads in max 2s.
            Even Weston is too heavy when you have to run heavy JS apps

Comment

Originally posted by Pepec9124
              Why not fork Weston ? It's light as hell, eats almost no CPU. Loads in max 2s.
              There'd be no point, Weston is a display server, and they don't need one. They have only one app running, the browser, and that can run directly sitting on the drm layer.

Comment

I hope this experimenting will lead to improvements in the Graphics Stack and improvements will find their way into Wayland (and Mir).

Comment

Originally posted by giucam View Post
                  There'd be no point, Weston is a display server, and they don't need one. They have only one app running, the browser, and that can run directly sitting on the drm layer.
                  How long to remove X11 from Linux operating systems? Others 25 years!? (weston is only a wrapper to use x11).

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                    How long to remove X11 from Linux operating systems? Others 25 years!? (weston is only a wrapper to use x11).
                    I seriously hope you're trolling and aren't actually that clueless about Weston

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
                      Honestly, I've been hoping people could ditch GTK and Qt for a few years now in favor of HTML5 frontends. I know that's a crazy idea, but in the near future it may make a lot more sense than what we've been doing.
                      UI in Qt can be declared with QML which is a markup language.
                      Style in GTK are declared in a CSS dialect.

Firefox is a incoherent mess with no native-look-and-feel and where every app looks alien. It has no consistency.

Application user interfaces in HTML should be easier to do right now with CSS flexbox (which is like of like hgroup and vgroup in GTK).

Comment

Working...
                      X