Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does WINE crash with almost EVERY 3D App?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grigi View Post
    I have a mobility x1600, and 8-6 seems to work pretty much perfectly for me... 8-5 was the broken version for me, but some people say 8-6 broke theirs...
    Can you run DirectX games?

Comment

I tried running some DX Demos, and, it didn't crash.
      The rendering was not quite correct though

The biggest problem seems to be that it rendering backfaces and not frontfaces.

I remember reading on some of the Wine lists, that the issue has been identified, and found to be a Wine bug. It apparently affects all cards/drivers, but fglrx is the most sensitive to it.

Something to do with not leaving the drivers with enough virtual memory address space, so that they can represent the GPU memory in that process space.

Comment

I have running Catalyst 8.6 (HD3859) and have no Problems with SX games.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
          I have running Catalyst 8.6 (HD3859) and have no Problems with SX games.
          i suppose you mean DirectX games, but can you give an example?

Thanks!

Comment

Hi

Came across this thread on google... as a long time Wine user, I just wanted to point out that ATI/AMD have extremely buggy video drivers on Linux.

A lot of the time one 3D app, be it a game or otherwise will work perfectly fine if you have a nvidia card and their drivers, use ATI and it's a completely different story, some things won't even start.

If you have an ati card then you can basically be guaranteed a bad experience on Linux. I don't know why the situation is the way it is, maybe they thought it wasn't worth their time doing one properly because this "Linux" thing would never be popular, but now for whatever reason, for some years ATI drivers have caused apps to either be completely broken or have large differences in performance.

After having made the mistake of buying ATI before and ending up with a worthless video card on Linux, I've since learnt my lesson and switched to nvidia.

</rant>

Comment

does anyone read the first post? It looks like this is an Oops problem...

Comment

you should save yourself the trouble. wine doesent work with fglrx. amd has little interrest in fixing it, because it gives no problems for their workstation customers.

really.. if you need wine, you are heading for nvidia city.. theres no point wasting more of your time with this futile excercise.

Comment

Working...
                X