A way to get 3d support on 3870x2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A way to get 3d support on 3870x2?

I'm currently using the RadeonHD driver, and it works fine for 2d. I don't think there's any acceleration, although playing videos works 'all right'..

But i can't find out if it's possible to get some kind of 3d acceleration.

I'm pretty sure i read somewhere that you actually could, with just using one core on the card, but it seems i have missed HOW exactly to do it.

So if anyone know where there is an 'easy' description on how to do it, or would just post one here, it'd be real nice

I have also tried the official ATI driver, but i just can't get that to work at all..

The usual hack is using:

ChipID 0x9501

in xorg.conf (Device section) and adding

the correct id (950F) into the fglrxko_pci_ids.h file before compiling + installing the kernel module. You may have to try serveral drivers (maybe 8-3 or 8-4).

Comment

Ok so i download one of the official ati drivers, unpak that somehow(i have forgotten how), edit 'fglrxko_pci_ids.h' that is in the dir of the extracted driver(?), and then edit the xorg.conf.

How should it look in the xorg.conf? Just 'ChipID 0x9501' by itself with the {device} start/end?

Pardon my noobness, it's VERY long since i last touched linux

Comment

Which distro are you using?

Comment

I'm using Ubuntu 8.4 as it seems to be the easiest to get started with....

Comment

The usual hack is using:

ChipID 0x9501

in xorg.conf (Device section) and adding

the correct id (950F) into the fglrxko_pci_ids.h file before compiling + installing the kernel module. You may have to try serveral drivers (maybe 8-3 or 8-4).
            "the correct id (950F) into the fglrxko_pci_ids.h"

Where do i find this file, and how do i put in the correct id? Do i just edit the file(when found) with VI and put it in a list of ID's?

Comment

How did you install the driver?

Comment

By using "sudo ./ati-driver.....run"

I've just installed it again and now i get a "white screen of death" when login in.

I've logged in with the "safe xterm" right now and looking in the xorg.conf file. There's only the "identifier "configured video device""...

Btw. i'm trying the 8.7 ati driver atm. I installed using the autoinstall mode.
                Last edited by GoBBLeS; 22 July 2008, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Best come to the IRC or let me login, it is a bit hard to explain.

Comment

I just tried to build a Ubuntu specific package, just to try it out.

It just creates a directory with alot of different installers, and none of them seems to actually install anything properly, so..blehh

Comment

Working...
                    X