Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with ati drivers /w a 9600

Hello Everyone!

I was sent this way by dennis at mythdora.com, he said you guys were the experts when it came to linux video driver so I'm here to seek your assistance!

Get full access to this domain. Easy, seamless transactions. Zero percent financing available.

You can get most of the info there but after fighting with the ati drivers for a while I have them working but my cpu usage problem has stayed the same. This is a mythtv frontend box running mythdora (fedora+mythtv on one dvd).

the drivers I'm using right now are ATI Catalyst? 8.6 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver.

Well I took it off my workbench, hooked it up to the tv and all was going well till I tried to play a video and got terrible lagg again. Just sitting in recorded programs uses ~20% cpu (16% is mythfrontend) then as soon as I open a video X jumps to 86%.

fglrxinfo at xterm
    display: :0.0 screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: ATI RADEON 9600 Series
    OpenGL version string: 2.1.7659 Release

glxinfo | grep direct
    direct rendering: Yes

rpm -qa | grep fglrx
    nothing

remember this was working perfectly on md4, and transfers across the wired network at ~11MB.

anybody got any ideas?

Comment

I didn't see your x log and conf files pasted anywhere; can you stick them up on pastebin or something ?

From the other thread it looks like the kernel module isn't initializing right so you aren't getting any acceleration (hence the high CPU utilization).

The freeze-up while downloading sounds odd though, like maybe something else in your system got toasted by the lightning strike ?

Which driver were you running before ? Reading between the lines it sounds like you were running radeon ?
      Test signature

Comment

Working...
      X