Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aten CS1782 KVM DVI Switch

Phoronix: Aten CS1782 KVM DVI Switch

Aten, have you ever heard of them? If you haven't, it's not because they are a newcomer to the market place, as they actually have been around for nearly 30 years, but they focus all of their efforts on manufacturing KVM switch solutions. These KVM switches just aren't limited to simple multi-port analog switching, but they have a variety of enterprise-grade switches, IP-based switching, embedded solutions, HDMI switches, and many other products. One of Aten's newest products is the CS1782 DVI KVM Switch, which is designed for homes and small offices and has support for not only handling two systems with keyboard, mouse, and DVI monitor switching, but it goes beyond that to offer surround-sound audio and USB switching as well. In this review we are looking at the Aten CS1782 KVM DVI Switch.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have the 4-port version of this KVM. It rules!

The only possible mark against it is that the USB hub is only 1.1.

With all its smarts and its RS-232 interface, they could have added a terminal emulator to it, then it could also be used as the console for a headless Sun server.
    Last edited by frantaylor; 10 July 2009, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Two questions:

1) What is the maximum resolution that it can handle?

2) Do usb keyboards and mice that have special functionality still work as expected when hooked up? (for example Logitech G15 keyboard's display and function keys)

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Two questions:

1) What is the maximum resolution that it can handle?

2) Do usb keyboards and mice that have special functionality still work as expected when hooked up? (for example Logitech G15 keyboard's display and function keys)
        I have a 1920x1200 monitor on mine. This is the maximum resolution, according to what it says on the box. There is quite literally no difference in picture quality with the KVM. I think this is due to the DVI signal. I've seen significant picture degradation with VGA KVMs.

I'm using a Lenovo ThinkPad UltraNav keyboard with a built-in trackpad and it works great. All the keys work.

I should also mention that I have 10' DVI and USB extension cables plugged into the one of the already fairly long cable harnesses, to reach one of my computers, again with no degradation in quality.

I've used a number of different KVMs over the years, and this is by far the best.
        Last edited by frantaylor; 11 July 2009, 12:51 AM.

Comment

At least their IP-based KVM switches are not so great when it comes to security

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
            At least their IP-based KVM switches are not so great when it comes to security
            http://www.securityfocus.com/archive...100/0/threaded
            That is a completely different product from this one. This one has no networking capabilities whatsoever. I'm sure this company has many other imperfect products that also have nothing to do with this one.

Comment

Working...
            X